Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Michael Colbert <mb...@yahoo.com> on 2004/07/14 20:47:07 UTC

[workflow] new contributor

I'd like to volunteer to contribute time and code to the commons-workflow
project.  I've written two workflow engines in the past two years for two
seperate organizations and have some new ideas I would like to explore in
open-source.  I see the commons-workflow project as a good starting point.

Having said that, I'd like to get a feel for the commons-workflow community.
Who is using it?  What are you using it for?  What do you see are the strengths
and weaknesses of the project as it stands?  How can I help?

Thanks,
Mike Colbert
mbcolbert@yahoo.com

Re: [workflow] new contributor

Posted by Mike Colbert <mi...@mikecolbert.com>.
Mike Colbert wrote:

> Would like to start looking into the possibilities of a more powerful
> process modeling/scripting mechanism.  Something that can express more
> complex behavior, e.g. conditional transitions, composite activities,
> error handling, data-passing, etc.
>
> Mike Colbert

Actually, after looking through the core package documentation, looks
quite expressive already.  Will have to play around with some more
complicated scenarios.

Mike

Re: [workflow] new contributor

Posted by Mike Colbert <mi...@mikecolbert.com>.
Craig McClanahan wrote:

> Michael Colbert wrote:
>
>> I'd like to volunteer to contribute time and code to the
>> commons-workflow
>> project.  I've written two workflow engines in the past two years for
>> two
>> seperate organizations and have some new ideas I would like to
>> explore in
>> open-source.  I see the commons-workflow project as a good starting
>> point.
>>

> Cool.  Welcome!

Thanks, Craig.

>> Having said that, I'd like to get a feel for the commons-workflow
>> community. Who is using it?  What are you using it for?  What do you
>> see are the strengths
>> and weaknesses of the project as it stands?  How can I help?
>>

> I'm going to make Colin happy :-), and go through his outstanding
> patches this evening (Pacific time in the US), applying what I can.
> I'll try to do the same for yours -- expeditiously as possible, at
> least until my next big time crunch happens.

Sounds like a plan.  I'm looking forward to helping out.  I've been
going through the archives, reading comments and suggestions.  Would

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
Michael Colbert wrote:

>I'd like to volunteer to contribute time and code to the commons-workflow
>project.  I've written two workflow engines in the past two years for two
>seperate organizations and have some new ideas I would like to explore in
>open-source.  I see the commons-workflow project as a good starting point.

Cool.  Welcome!

>Having said that, I'd like to get a feel for the commons-workflow community.
>Who is using it?  What are you using it for?  What do you see are the strengths
>and weaknesses of the project as it stands?  How can I help?

I'm going to make Colin happy :-), and go through his outstanding
patches this evening (Pacific time in the US), applying what I can.
I'll try to do the same for yours -- expeditiously as possible, at least
until my next big time crunch happens.

>Thanks,
>Mike Colbert
>mbcolbert@yahoo.com