Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by pranay venkata <sv...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/10 22:53:47 UTC

SVD algorithm

Hi,

Can SVDRecommender be used on binary preference ratings for producing
recommendations ?

--
Thanks in advance,
Pranay.

Re: SVD algorithm

Posted by André Panisson <pa...@di.unito.it>.
Hi, just to give my 2 cents about SVD Recommender. It is a model-based
recommender, and requires training before calculating recommendations,
but is very fast when recommending, differently from item/user-based
recommenders, that require no training but require more resources when
recommending. The training step computational complexity depends on the
number of user feedbacks: the current implementation is good for very
sparse user/item matrices. Important to say here that, in this case, a
matrix is considered sparse not if it has high number of zeros, but it
should have high number of unknown values. So, if your binary preference
ratings matrix has a rating 0/1 for every pair user/value, you should
consider it not as a binary rating, but as an implicit feedback. For a
good discussion about implicit feedbacks I recommend reading Koren's
paper "Collaborative Filtering for Implicit Feedback Datasets" available
at http://research.yahoo.com/pub/2433.

Regards,
André Panisson

--
André Panisson, Ph.D. Student
panisson@di.unito.it

Dipartimento di Informatica - Universita' di Torino
Corso Svizzera,  185
10149, Torino, Italy

tel. (++39.)011.6706833
fax. (++39.)011.751603
http://www.di.unito.it/~panisson

Re: SVD algorithm

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: SVD algorithm

Posted by Nishant Chandra <ni...@gmail.com>.
AFAIK, SVD is to overcome sparsity in the user - item matrix. How is it
connected to efficiency here? Do you foresee any problem?

Thanks,
Nishant

evaluate the result -- would be interesting to hear your results.

However I'll also say I don't imagine this is the most efficient
recommender for this kind of data.

Re: SVD algorithm

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
I have not tried it myself. In principle I do not see a reason you
couldn't send in vectors with 0 or 1 values only. You would have to