Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2003/03/06 05:11:19 UTC

Struts and Cocoon Integration

I've developed a prototype of a Struts 1.1 plugin that integrates Cocoon
into the Struts framework.  Struts forwards are passed to Cocoon to be
rendered in Cocoon XML pipelines.  It combines the ease of use of Struts
with the power and flexibility of Cocoon.  If you've looked into using
Cocoon but was put off by its complexity, you might want to give this a
look.  To demonstrate the plugin, I've slightly modified the struts
example webapp to highlight how it could be used.

More information, including how and why, and a demo, visit:
http://www.twdata.org/struts

Any and all comments welcome.

Don

Re: Struts and Cocoon Integration

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
There are at least two ways to handle the forwards: explicitly using some
sort of suffix/prefix (e.g. all paths that end in ".coc" will be handled
by the cocoon plugin) or simply pass all the request first to cocoon and
if cocoon doesn't handle it, process it normally.  The stxx plugin
(http://sf.net/projects/stxx) uses the former while I chose the latter.
In my implementation, if you don't create a pipeline to match the forward,
it is processed by Struts normally.  It is trival to write code to use
either method.

Hope that helps.

Don

Posted by Dave Patton <da...@mymobile.info>.
WOW!  That is good stuff man.  I have briefly taken a look at the site
an am so far impressed.  A quick question though, and forgive me if
you've already answered it:  Can I have Struts specify which requests
will go to Cocoon and which will be processed noramally in Tomcat or
other servlet engine?

Dave Patton

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 00:27, Don Brown wrote:

> Ah yes, it looks like I missed an unclosed <hr> element hidden in the
> application resources.  Thanks for pointing that out.  The example and
> demo have been updated.
>
> Don
>
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, alexj wrote:
>
> > your demo don't work I got an exception every time I try to save
> > datas.
> >
> > org.apache.jasper.JasperException: getOutputStream() has already been called
> > for this response
> >
> > --
> > Alexandre Jaquet

David H. Patton