Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> on 2011/11/02 15:18:06 UTC

Report Builder extension (was Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release)

Hi Oliver;

What do you mean by "removal of the 3rd party components"?

I think the report builder should be moved to Apache-extras
with three suggestions:

- Attempt to contact the authors of the pentaho stuff,
maybe they would like to have a say in it's future or
even relicense it.
-Wait until the headers are changed to AL2, before moving
it out.
- Rob has a SVN dump: maybe we can use it to preserve most
of the early history of the stuff we move to Apache-extras.

cheers,

Pedro.

Re: Report Builder extension (was Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release)

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
On 07.11.2011 10:23, Reizinger Zoltán wrote:

> This means, that the build under windows needs source jfreereport,
> hosted in apache extras or other places?

Please see my reply to Oliver: we always used pre-built jars on all
platforms.

Regards,
Mathias

Re: Report Builder extension (was Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release)

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.
2011.11.07. 10:05 keltezéssel, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann írta:
> Hi,
>
> On 05.11.2011 12:09, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> Hello Oliver,
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 03:52:05PM +0100, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>> I am not planning to remove the report builder extension.
>>> I am planning to remove the 3rd party components which are used by
>>> the report builder extension as they are licensed under LGPL.
>>> This will have the effect that the report builder will not work
>>> anymore. Thus, I have got in mind to disable its building without
>>> touching any code of it.
>>
>> will you also disable building the report builder with the system's
>> jars?
>>
>> If yes, then you should also remove the --enable-report-buider option
>> from configure.
>> Now, if you pass this switch to configure, the build breaks in all the
>> dirs. where the makefile.mk tries to include
>> $(SOLARBINDIR)/jfreereport_version.mk
>>
>> reportbuilder/java/com/sun/star/report/util/
>> reportbuilder/java/com/sun/star/report/function/metadata/
>> reportbuilder/util/
>> reportbuilder/java/com/sun/star/report/pentaho/
>>
>> jfreereport_version.mk was a copy of jfreereport/version.mk that no
>> longer exists
>> http://svn.services.openoffice.org/opengrok/xref/OOO340_m0/jfreereport/prj/d.lst#2
>>

> As you have seen, I was trying to keep the report builder extension
> buildable with the system's jars.
> Unfortunately, I did not test such a build. I was assuming that a
> former build with the configure options --enable-report-builder
> --with-system-jfreereport works out of the box.
>
> Thus, I will try to make such a build possible.
This means, that the build under windows needs source jfreereport,
hosted in apache extras or other places?
Zoltan

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com>.
Le 05/11/11 12:09, Ariel Constenla-Haile a écrit :

Hi all,

> If yes, then you should also remove the --enable-report-buider option
> from configure.
> Now, if you pass this switch to configure, the build breaks in all the
> dirs. where the makefile.mk tries to include
> $(SOLARBINDIR)/jfreereport_version.mk

Absolutely, if the jars aren't there, that build switch will cause the
build to fail. Alternatively, you could change all of the mk files to
point to....nowhere, or just silently drop and return, but then what
would be the point of having the switch ?

This is a sizeable chunk of code/functionality that is being removed
here btw, especially for all of those who use databases. And for the
doubting Thomases who might be inclined to think that using OOo with
databases was a minority affair, they might wish to look up the stats on
the migrated user forums as to how many people ask questions about
database usage. It is far from insignificant.

Alex

Re: Report Builder extension (was Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release)

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hello Oliver,

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 03:52:05PM +0100, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> I am not planning to remove the report builder extension.
> I am planning to remove the 3rd party components which are used by
> the report builder extension as they are licensed under LGPL.
> This will have the effect that the report builder will not work
> anymore. Thus, I have got in mind to disable its building without
> touching any code of it.

will you also disable building the report builder with the system's
jars?

If yes, then you should also remove the --enable-report-buider option
from configure.
Now, if you pass this switch to configure, the build breaks in all the
dirs. where the makefile.mk tries to include
$(SOLARBINDIR)/jfreereport_version.mk

reportbuilder/java/com/sun/star/report/util/
reportbuilder/java/com/sun/star/report/function/metadata/
reportbuilder/util/
reportbuilder/java/com/sun/star/report/pentaho/

jfreereport_version.mk was a copy of jfreereport/version.mk that no
longer exists
http://svn.services.openoffice.org/opengrok/xref/OOO340_m0/jfreereport/prj/d.lst#2

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Report Builder extension (was Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release)

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/10/11 5:00 PM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> Le 10/11/11 16:16, Pedro Giffuni a écrit :
>
> Hi Pedro, Ariel,
>
> Oh I understand perfectly well why it is being done in this way, I make
> my living out of intellectual property so I would be the first one to
> say "IP clearance takes precedence" in line with the rules that Apache has.
>
> I also understand that it could still continue to be built separately,
> for those who have the time, energy and will to correct the inevitable
> bitrot build errors that will creep in over time because code has
> changed elsewhere, but no one thought to bother about adapting those
> code changes to keep this module buildable. In other words, it will
> become harder to build and maintain over time because it has been dropped.
>
> Nonetheless, even if one looks on the optimistic side, there still
> remain a few questions :
>
> (1) who in all honesty will do it ?
>   - if any of the Linux distribs are interested, they will package it
> with their own build of AOOo (assuming that some of them switch from
> LibreOffice to AOOo or just continue to provide both)

it always a question of who will do it. That's open source, if somebody
feels it is important, takes the responsibility for it and just do it
then it's fine for all if the work is contributed back. But you need
always somebody who take care of it.

Wishes alone doesn't help here. And more general especially companies
who simply use open source software and never contribute anything back
should think about it.

> - what about distrib independent versions - obviously, there will be
> none from within AOOo itself, since it can not, so quo vadis ?
are you sure? Everybody can take the Apache source code and can provide
a binary and can bundle some further stuff with this package and call it
"MyPersonalRequirementsSatisfying Office". I think that is perfectly
fine as long as the bugs for the additional code are filtered correctly.

I am sure we will see a binary version of a pure Apache OpenOffice and
this will grow over time and will contain useful features that are more
important or more useful for many users than for example a lost filter
because of the license. And even dropped features can be put back if
somebody takes care of it and provide it as an extension. But again it's
always the same somebody have to take care of it.

> - what about Mac ?
> - what about Windows ?

mmh, i think that is on the plan. On Windows are probably more than 80%
of our users.

> I think that realistically, resources are spread too thinly on the
> ground for this to happen at present.
help is always welcome

> (2) what kind of message does this convey to Joe Public ?
> - AOOo (aka OOo) is destined only for those who know how to build and code ?

no, but we have to do some work at the beginning and the plan is to
provide replacements for all critical temporary dropped features.

> Somehow, I don't think that you'll hit your target audience with such an
> approach - a binary version that misses bits of what has become
> essential functionality for many will not sway people to switch from OOo
> to AOOo - in fact, it might well even make them switch to competing
> products.
i agree in some points but as i mentioned earlier our goal is to replace
all important missing pieces over time. Most of the temporary dropped
features are probably not important for many people. But sure some users
will miss something.

Juergen

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hello Reizinger, *,

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu> wrote:
> Hi Pedro,
>
> The report builder extension has 49 open bugs:
> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=runnamed;namedcmd=SRB_open;list_id=2823

that link didn't work (may be a named saved search?). This may work:
https://issues.apache.org/ooo/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED;bug_status=NEW;bug_status=STARTED;bug_status=REOPENED;component=SRB

>> We can keep the sources, and maybe even some SVN history,
>> in Apache-extras but once it builds I don't think we have
>> to do a lot of maintenance.

it actually does. It's not simply an extension. This and the other
module, reportdesign,
require a maintainer with a deep knowledge of OOo core.

Regards
------------
Ariel Constenla-Haile

Re: Report Builder extension (was Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release)

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.
Hi Pedro,

The report builder extension has 49 open bugs:
https://issues.apache.org/ooo/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=runnamed;namedcmd=SRB_open;list_id=2823

Lot of bugs reported by me, I was the volunteer QA on this feature.
Some of them needs to be repaired, and some features available in
pentaho reporting, not implemented it in, for example subreports, and
new chart features from OOo.
If I know correctly the original developer will not continue working on it.
If some developer continue the development, I will do QA on it.

Regards,
Zoltan

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Am 10.11.2011 20:09, schrieb Pedro Giffuni:

> --- On Thu, 11/10/11, Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Am 10.11.2011 16:22, schrieb Pedro Giffuni:
>>
>> > Hi Ariel;
>> >
>> > I honestly have no idea how this works: can we turn
>> this
>> > into an uno extension, and make it available in the
>> > extensions site?
>>
>> The report build *is* an extension.
>>

> Can this be built standalone and made available
> in the extensions site?

AFAIK nobody tried until now. You will need at least an OOo SDK plus the
jFreeReport jar files, maybe some jar files more.

Regards,
Mathias

Re: Report Builder extension (was Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release)

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

--- On Thu, 11/10/11, Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 10.11.2011 16:22, schrieb Pedro Giffuni:
>
> > Hi Ariel;
> >
> > I honestly have no idea how this works: can we turn
> this
> > into an uno extension, and make it available in the
> > extensions site?
>
> The report build *is* an extension.

Can this be built standalone and made available
in the extensions site?

> Or are you talking about the jfree jars alone? I'm afraid
> that they are not used via UNO but plain Java APIs, so
> there is no chance.

That's not a problem we just put them in SVN at Apache
Extras and bundle them with the extension.

The main code will be AL2 but all the requirements
maintain the original license, we don't have limitations
there.

FWIW, there are many OOo extensions maintained in google
code already:

http://code.google.com/hosting/search?q=openoffice.org&btn=Search+projects

cheers,

Pedro.

Re: Report Builder extension (was Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release)

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Ariel;

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hello Alexander,

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Alexander;

We are not killing it at all: it is just more difficult
to build.

At this time we are focusing on complying with
ASF IP requirements, on a later stage we will
focus on regaining any lost functionality.

I think this would be better as an external
module but no one is planning to remove it
at all.

Pedro.

Posted by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Oliver;

It's OK. The priority is clearly to get the IP
clearance done; I was just trying to set out
some plan to preserve the functionality much
easier for end users but this surely can wait.

Thanks for your hard work,

Pedro.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Oliver;

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

--- On Wed, 11/2/11, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

> > BTW, most of the reportbuilder dependencies come from
> > Pentaho right? We should contact them and let them
> > know the situation.
> >
> probably worth to try it

I will contact them.

best regards,

Pedro.

Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/2/11 4:50 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> --- On Wed, 11/2/11, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann<or...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> I am not sure, if we are on the same page ;-)
>>

> I expressed it badly indeed. I meant we are not yet removing
> any code that we have an SGA for. We do have an SGA for the
> reportbuilder but not the dependencies so the dependencies
> can go. We can disable them in configure.in for now but we
> will have to find somewhere to put them later on.

exactly, that is the way i have understand it as well. Our goal should
be to become Apache conform with our code base as soon as possible.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Pedro,

On 02.11.2011 16:03, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> --- On Wed, 11/2/11, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann<or...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>

>> BTW, nothing is lost by this removal step - everything is
>> still in the repository. This certain documentation in a
>> Bugzilla issue the stuff can be recovered easily for future
>> usage and adjustment.
>>
> Ahh.. OK. We are on the same page then. No removed functionality
> until we know what will replace it and the SGA is in.

I am not sure, if we are on the same page ;-)

As 3rd party compoments which violate Apache's Third-Party Licensing
Policy are not allowed they have to be removed.
Thus one part of the tasks for the proposed "IP cleared" milestone are
to remove these without having deeply thought about a replacement. Thus,
we will lose certain features - like the report builder extension.
It is the subject of the next proposed "features back" milestone to
identify the features which should be brought back and for which
corresponding interest and resources are available.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

--- On Wed, 11/2/11, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> BTW, nothing is lost by this removal step - everything is
> still in the repository. This certain documentation in a
> Bugzilla issue the stuff can be recovered easily for future
> usage and adjustment.

Ahh.. OK. We are on the same page then. No removed functionality
until we know what will replace it and the SGA is in.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Re: Report Builder extension (was Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release)

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Pedro,

On 02.11.2011 15:18, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Oliver;
>
> What do you mean by "removal of the 3rd party components"?

- Removing the components and its references out of the repository.
- Adjusting the code which is using these components - e.g. switching
off the corresponding functions.

> I think the report builder should be moved to Apache-extras
> with three suggestions:
>
> - Attempt to contact the authors of the pentaho stuff,
> maybe they would like to have a say in it's future or
> even relicense it.
> -Wait until the headers are changed to AL2, before moving
> it out.
> - Rob has a SVN dump: maybe we can use it to preserve most
> of the early history of the stuff we move to Apache-extras.

I am not planning to remove the report builder extension.
I am planning to remove the 3rd party components which are used by the
report builder extension as they are licensed under LGPL.
This will have the effect that the report builder will not work anymore.
Thus, I have got in mind to disable its building without touching any
code of it.
Then our code base regarding the report builder extension will be clean
due to Apache's Third-Party Licensing Policy.