Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mason Jones <ma...@clipshow.com> on 2000/07/03 21:11:32 UTC

Re: Custom Tag error?

At 09:42 AM 6/29/00 -0500, Mark A. Kolb wrote:
>At 01:51 PM 6/29/00 +0800, Isiah Lau wrote:
>>Sorry to let you know the problem still exists.  Do you know what does the
>>following sentence mean?
>> >Error in the tag library descriptor: Element "web-app" does not allow
>>"servlet" here.<
>
>This is a result of the tags in the web.xml file not being in the right
>order for compliance with the DTD. There's a new version of our source code
>distribution, with a revised web.xml file, at www.taglib.com.

I actually copied this file and tried it, and I'm still getting
an error similar to Isiah's:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to open taglibrary /tags/clip.tld
: Parse Error in the tag library descriptor: Element type "taglib" is not
declared.

Can anyone explain why this is happening? I assume that
normally that revised web.xml file should work, but it's not...
I've been struggling with this problem for several days now.

  Mason Jones              mason(at)clipshow.com
  Director of Software Development
  ClipShow, Inc.            www.clipshow.com
  (650) 696-3164           fax (650) 696-3267

Re: Custom Tag error?

Posted by Isiah Lau <is...@sanyoshk.com>.
Mason,

I think the correction is not only at the web.xml.  So, I recommend you to
renew the whole webapps.  It worked for me.

Isiah

Re: Custom Tag error?

Posted by Mason Jones <ma...@clipshow.com>.
At 09:43 AM 7/4/00 -0500, Mark Kolb wrote:

>As Isaiah suggested, I think you need the other new files, in particular
>the new TLD. Also, I'm not sure where this reference to "clip.tld" is
>coming from -- its not part of the source code with from the book. Have you
>added a second tag library? If that's the case, then you need to add the
>appropriate entries for this second library to your web.xml file...

I had added the appropriate entries for the library, but it turns out
that this was partially a stupid error of my own, which was that
the URI in the HTML had ".tld" on the end for some reason (bad cut
and paste, I think), which I didn't notice.

However, I must say that although this was my mistake, the error
message from Tomcat was extraordinarily unhelpful and misleading.
But it works now, so...

Thanks for your help!

Re: Custom Tag error?

Posted by "Mark A. Kolb" <ma...@austin.rr.com>.
At 02:11 PM 7/3/00, you wrote:
>I actually copied this file and tried it, and I'm still getting
>an error similar to Isiah's:
>
>org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to open taglibrary /tags/clip.tld
>: Parse Error in the tag library descriptor: Element type "taglib" is not
>declared.
>
>Can anyone explain why this is happening? I assume that
>normally that revised web.xml file should work, but it's not...
>I've been struggling with this problem for several days now.

As Isaiah suggested, I think you need the other new files, in particular
the new TLD. Also, I'm not sure where this reference to "clip.tld" is
coming from -- its not part of the source code with from the book. Have you
added a second tag library? If that's the case, then you need to add the
appropriate entries for this second library to your web.xml file...

- Mark Kolb