Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2008/05/02 20:15:10 UTC

apr_cvt() in apr_snprintf() - not (L)GPL

This closes a long standing confusion on some code in apr_snprintf()
(and ap_snprintf() in apache-1.3). The comments indicate that the
apr_cvt() implementation was pulled from GNU libc. However, the
actual origin of the code is from UNIX V7 (at least... it is also
possible that this was derived/obtained from older BSD code, but
this requires more digging). In any case, the code itself is licensed
by Caldera under a BSD-ish license:

    http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Caldera-license.pdf

which makes it fine for us to use.

I have updated the source, LICENSE and NOTICE files to reflect
this fact.

PS: Even though I updated the files and am writing this Email,
     the actual investigation was done by myself and Joe Orton.
     Thanks Joe!

PPS: This is also applicable to the snprintf() impl in mod_jk,
      hence adding the dev@tomcat list. This is because that
      was pulled from APR :)

Re: apr_cvt() in apr_snprintf() - not (L)GPL

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Jim Jagielski schrieb:
> This closes a long standing confusion on some code in apr_snprintf()
> (and ap_snprintf() in apache-1.3). The comments indicate that the
> apr_cvt() implementation was pulled from GNU libc. However, the
> actual origin of the code is from UNIX V7 (at least... it is also
> possible that this was derived/obtained from older BSD code, but
> this requires more digging). In any case, the code itself is licensed
> by Caldera under a BSD-ish license:
>
>    http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Caldera-license.pdf
>
> which makes it fine for us to use.
>
> I have updated the source, LICENSE and NOTICE files to reflect
> this fact.
>
> PS: Even though I updated the files and am writing this Email,
>     the actual investigation was done by myself and Joe Orton.
>     Thanks Joe!
>
> PPS: This is also applicable to the snprintf() impl in mod_jk,
>      hence adding the dev@tomcat list. This is because that
>      was pulled from APR :)

Ported to our copy in mod_jk in revisions 653192

and 653193

Rainer