Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Al Byers <by...@automationgroups.com> on 2006/07/10 15:33:45 UTC

Need for ProductRole

I think I have a need for a ProductRole that mirrors the ContentRole
entity. I want to associate a manager with a product. Is there another
way to do this? If not, should I just create such an entity for this
custom use or should it be something to propose for general use?

-Al

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
This is how I pictured my initial idea:

ProductRelationship Entity
--------------------------
ProductId
PartyRoleId
PartyId

Product     ProductRelationship  Party
--------    -------------------- -----------------------
           _ SUPPLIER_ROLE        ABC Materials Supply
Widget  _/_ MANUFACT_ROLE        XYZ Manufacturing
          \_ CONSUMER_ROLE        Lillian Gomez

So, any number of parties in any number of roles can be associated with a product.

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Without getting into the lack of control that exists
when honoring warranties on unserializable product
(that is of concern to the mfg, not your project), you
would probably want to utilize the internal name in
the BOM instead of the productId.  In many scenarios,
the productId shouldn't be the basis of an order
entry.  The only reason why I'm suggesting is that
you're considering it as mutually exclusive
alternatives. When there's a solution that encompases
the best of both worlds.  Namely, simplification for
the purchasing clerks, and accuracy in your purchasing
history.

=== message truncated ===

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Faucets are not serialized.

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
> [...]

> > by the people and the automated processes... Is
> this something that
> > anyone actually has a need and scenarios for right
> now?
> >
> > -David
> >

> > Adrian Crum wrote:
> >
> >> I'm looking over David's suggestion of using
> ProductCategoryRole.
> >> Multiple manufacturers could be handled that way
> - then just ignore
> >> the manufacturer field in Product.
> >>
> >> So, we could have a Product Category called "XYZ
> Manufacturing
> >> Products" then the products they manufacture
> could be linked to that
> >> category. The company itself can be linked to the
> category through the
> >> party ID in the role of manufacturer.
> >>
> >> Manufacturers and Suppliers are different
> parties, btw. A supplier
> >> could provide the same part from several

=== message truncated ===

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Each screen can have permissions. you can look it up in each widget.
it is best when viewing these pages to login as a Party that is only
Customer Role and see what is shown.
Admittedly, there needs to be a lot of work on the permissions/roles for
the new widgets.

Ian Gilbert sent the following on 7/12/2006 2:29 AM:

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ian

Sorry afraid I can't help, all I knew was where the screen the others
were talking about lives.

Regards
Scott

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
The "Parties" tab are used as partyId/role pairs.  For
instance for the catalog / parties tab setting a
partyId in the roleType of "Customer" will give that
person access to that catalog in the chooseCatalog
screen in ecommerce and in the order entry (if they
have permission to the order entry backend).

There are very few of these roleTypes that use has
been defined, so it's mostly to your custom situation.

--- Ian Gilbert <ia...@ethicalshopper.co.uk>

Re: Need for ProductRole

Posted by Ian Gilbert <ia...@ethicalshopper.co.uk>.
Thanks Scott,