Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Oliver Erlewein <ol...@erlewein.net> on 2014/02/17 02:28:21 UTC

A test application to test against

Hello all,

So I want to train some testers on perf testing with JMeter. What I am
looking for is a test app (http/https/soap) that has known perf issues that
I can install and they test against. Has anyone got such a beast or know
where to find one?

Cheers Oliver

Re: A test application to test against

Posted by Adrian Speteanu <as...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Interesting task. I had a similar setup recently and instead of showing off
a particular app, I would recommend making a simple web server setup with
established tools. I would exemplify from what I did:

On a Linux/Mac OS machine
- install jdk
- install tomcat and its examples (so you have some pages to hit)
- install varnish or apache in front of tomcat
- setup tomcat to run on port 8080 and apache/varnish to run on 80
- install, setup jmeter and prepare a test suite good enough to compare the
effectiveness of each web server setup
- test tomcat examples standalone (localhost:8080/examples/..,)
- test tomcat/apache setup with the same script
- take down apache, put varnish in place and test tomcat/varnish setup
I've even reconfigured tomcat to read the apps from /var/www/html and
placed some larger htmls there.

It's a very interesting setup for a tutorial on performance testing. You
should mess around with the tomcat/apache/varnish settings to re-configure
the number of available threads (keep a low number to be able to test on
the same machine). It will allow you to test concurrency and denial of
service scenarios. Monitor with Java VisualVM, available if you install jdk
instead of jre. My purpose was to show off in the simplest way the
advantages of a memory cache as opposed to a setup that uses disk
intensively. It's a very simplistic approach, but works well as a tutorial.
If you don't do production specific tweaks, you'll run into minor
performance issues with the response times, even if you don't test with
more concurrent requests than available (recurrent spikes in response
times). I recommend this because it can serve for both very short tests,
and to benchmark the actual tools for production purposes, it allows for a
more in depth analysis (these tools are stable, mature, but require some
tweaking), so the tutorial can go to more advance topics. Show off the
differences in response times by jmeter, when running GUI mode versus
non-GUI mode.

Ultimately, if you really want to have an application that cracks under
pressure, write a very short java application, instead of using a more
complex app, and insert a memory leak kind of scenario (preferably one that
shows off after an intenser test), But I don't think its needed because you
can tweak the jvm parameters so that they don't handle performance tests
and you could cause OOM and heap dumps during a test (but I'm not 100%
sure, didn't need to go that far).

--Adrian S

Posted by NaveenKumar N <ca...@gmail.com>.
Please add me in and visit my blog  http://QAInsights.com