Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nick Wesselman <ni...@digivis.com> on 2002/09/16 23:23:54 UTC

harm in kill-ing tomcat?

The shutdown script takes so long... is there any harm in "kill -9"-ing
tomcat? What about when a connector like mod_jk is in use?

I suppose if there is anything transactional going on in my code, that
could be bad. I'm guessing the shutdown script waits for all current
processing to finish?

Nick

Re: harm in kill-ing tomcat?

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
Nick Wesselman wrote:
> The shutdown script takes so long... is there any harm in "kill -9"-ing
> tomcat? What about when a connector like mod_jk is in use?

What about DataBase connections and possible sessions that will be cut in half?

> I suppose if there is anything transactional going on in my code, that
> could be bad. I'm guessing the shutdown script waits for all current
> processing to finish?

Well, when you turn off your computer, do you shut it down or hit the switch?
"kill -9" is like using the "Frankenstein switch" instead of a shutdown.

DBs should survive the death of connection, sessions, even on application level
should have timeouts and clean-up procedures, so the system SHOULD SURVIVE shot
in the head. The same can be said for pulling the plug on your computer instead
of a clean shutdown - it should survive. And it will, for a number of times.
Until one day,....

Nixie.