Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2020/05/01 11:52:05 UTC

Re: source directory layout for multirelease jars

when the need is restricted META-INF/versions/9/module-info.class, ie not
really code per Java release, but only module or not module, isn't one
strategy better to use, given there should be less tests to be run?

perhaps the answer is that MR is overkill for that, given JDK 8 will simply
ignore module-info.class?

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Christian Stein <so...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 1:52 PM Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> when the need is restricted META-INF/versions/9/module-info.class, ie not
> really code per Java release, but only module or not module, isn't one
> strategy better to use, given there should be less tests to be run?
>
> perhaps the answer is that MR is overkill for that, given JDK 8 will
> simply
> ignore module-info.class?

That's why the JUnit team decided to place module-info.class files in the
root of each published artifact [0]. We got zero negative feedback for
doing so for over a year now. Yes, that's not a proof, but still a good
indication that most tools and runtimes on Java 8 ignore those compiled
module descriptors.

Cheers,
Christian

[0]:
https://github.com/junit-team/junit5/pull/1857/files#diff-9d20ecc86db63514a52ddb1914e60477R90-R92

Re: source directory layout for multirelease jars

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
That's true, if it is just for the module descriptor, having a MRJAR is overkill.
https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/examples/module-info.html describes how to solve that.

Robert