Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tushar Swarnakar <tu...@mahindrabt.com> on 2002/04/29 10:51:15 UTC

Apache hangs up for more than 100 concurrent users.

Hi,
    I am using Apache 1.3.9 and configured for 150 users on Windows NT server. It works fine with 100 or less than 100 concurrent users. But when more than 100 concurrent users are accessing the Apache then it hangs up and does not response anymore.
   I don't know what to do. Please help me out.
Regards
Tushar

Disclaimer

is strictly prohibited.

Visit us at http://www.mahindrabt.com

Re: Apache hangs up for more than 100 concurrent users.

Posted by Subscribed <su...@myarchive.biz>.
Owen, you snip you!
Way to get the point across! ;)

====================================
"It is said that if you line up all the cars in the
world end to end, someone would be stupid
enough to try and pass them."
====================================

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Tushar Swarnakar wrote:

> I used Rational Robot to simulate 100 users and it is running on different
> machine. I tested for 95 concurrent users, simulated by Rational Robot, and
> it works fine. Once I test for 100 users after that I can't access my page
> through a web browser, no response comes from the web server. After
> restarting Apache, I can access my page again. It also behaves same for the
> settings MaxClients =150.

I'm not familiar with Rational Robot but it sounds funky. Where is your
browser - on the same machine as Rational Robot? (if so, could be the RR
machine's IP interface gets blocked) - on the server? (if so, server IP
blocked?). Try the following to "prove" it:

- define your site on localhost on the apache server (i.e. so that
http://localhost/ on a browser on the apache server leads to your site).
- start apache
- zap it with 100 connections from RR host so it "hangs"
- unplug the network cable from RR host
- try and hit http://localhost/ from a browser on the apache server

Does it work?

 I really don't think it is apache which hangs when it gets over 100
simultaneous requests (if it were, this would have been discovered ages
ago as an excellent DoS attack :-)

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

PS anything in the error/access logs?

Re: Apache hangs up for more than 100 concurrent users.

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.

Posted by Tushar Swarnakar <tu...@mahindrabt.com>.

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.

Posted by Tushar IMAP <tu...@mahindrabt.com>.
I am doing performance testing of our web application on Solaris with
Apache1.3.9. I was simulating for 100 concurrent users and the values of the
following directives were
     MaxClients = 200
     MaxKeepAliveRequests = 250
     MaxRequestsPerChild = 0
     MaxSpareServers = 64
     MinSpareServers = 32
For the above settings and for 100 concurrent users, apache hangs up. But if

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.

Posted by Tushar Swarnakar <tu...@mahindrabt.com>.
If I remove MaxClients directive from the httpd.conf file and start apache
for more than 100 hundred users then it never hangs up and runs properly.

> >     I am using Apache 1.3.9 and configured for 150 users on Windows NT
> > server. It works fine with 100 or less than 100 concurrent users. But
> > when more than 100 concurrent users are accessing the Apache then it
> > hangs up and does not response anymore.
> >    I don't know what to do. Please help me out.
>
> I have a VW Golf with a 1.3l engine. I fitted a new speedometer to it
> which goes up to 200 km/h but whenever I go out on the road, the car
> will only get up to about 140 km/h. How can I make it go all the way to
> 200 km/h?
>
> Rgds,
>
> Owen Boyle.

Disclaimer

is strictly prohibited.

Re: Apache hangs up for more than 100 concurrent users.

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.

Posted by Milind Sawant <mi...@skandiabank.ch>.
Hi

increase the no of server processes using the MaxSpareServers parameter.
Milind Sawant
Web Administrator (Apollo)
TCS

+0041 1 288 4675