Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jim Hiller <hi...@hotmail.com> on 2003/12/16 18:39:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: access_log anomalies

>On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Jim Hiller wrote:
>
> > I am running Apache 2.0.40 on Linux kernel 2.4.20 and am having trouble
>with
> > logging and time zones.  The server appears to operate fine yet the logs
> > entries appear to switch time zones randomly.  The switch occurs between
>my
> > local time zone (-0800 or -0700 depending on DST) and UTC (+0000).  I do
>not
> > experience this problem with other logs (e.g. Sendmail).
>
>Although I'm not sure, I seem to recall a bug similar to this being fixed
>a while ago.  2.0.40 is over a year old and many bugs have been fixed
>since then.  Try a more recent version.
>
>Joshua.

Thanks for the reply Joshua.  I'm actually running the latest RPM from
Redhat (httpd-2.0.40-21.5.i386).  It reports 2.0.40 but I would hope that
their back-port is actually newer than that.

Of course I first suspected this was an Apache bug I haven't found anything
in FAQs or bug lists.  I have to believe if it is a known bug in the Redhat
RPM, there would be a thousand people with the same problem.

The only other thing I can possibly think of (that would make my install
different from anything else) is that, at one point, I tried to install the
latest version of 2.0 from scratch.  It appeared to clash with the organic
Redhat install so I gave up on that.  I wonder if there are some vestiges of
that aborted install in there messing with things.  Seems unlikely.  An
Apache God would have to tell me what to look for.

Its a minor annoyance, but it breaks things like awstats.  I had to write a
perl script to fix all my log files before I process them with the
analyzers.

Thanks Again.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: access_log anomalies

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Jim Hiller wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Joshua.  I'm actually running the latest RPM from
> Redhat (httpd-2.0.40-21.5.i386).  It reports 2.0.40 but I would hope that
> their back-port is actually newer than that.

Nope.  They back-port security stuff and some other bug fixes, but there
are many things they don't backport.  Because of this, you can't expect
support for Redhat's version of apache from people at apache.org.  So your
choices are:

1. Get rid of the rpm and go with the version from apache.org.

2. Contact redhat support.

Joshua.