Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Hitzbleck, Andreas (Z-EDV)" <An...@KVB.de> on 2004/07/07 08:46:07 UTC

Best practice setup

Hi all,

we currently work on a migration of our systems from Solaris to
Linux and I develop the structure/setup of the new mashines.

We have 4 different web applications on one of the mashines with
at about 1400 users at all (300-400 concurrent).

We have to assign one virtual IP per web application (legacy).

I plan to setup one Apache with a virtual host per virtual IP.
Apache should dispatch all requests via mod_jk to the appropriate
tomcat.

Is that a good setup? Or is Apache a bottleneck for the web
applications in the backend? What value should the Apache
parameter "MaxChilds" should have? Is 256 enough?

An alternative setup could be one tomcat with all 4 web
applications in it. But we fear to close-couple all
web applications to one tomcat process? Does a web
application with high load affect other web applications in
the same tomcat process?

Best regards

--ah

Re: Best practice setup

Posted by Kunthar <ku...@gmx.net>.
  Hello,

1. What is the percentage of pure html requests of your web app?
2. What is the database usage of your web app?
3. Is there any huge queries running during users sessions?
4. What is the hardware profile of your server?

Solution;
1. If you have reasonable values for all of 4 items above you should use
distributed system.
One machine for database backend, one or two machines for http requests
and connected  to different tomcat instances in the same machine witk
mod_JK2 (2 different tomcat instances for 2 web apps in the same machine.)
2. If the less performance is enough for your 4 web apps, then you do
the same in one machine with
4 different Tomcat instances. You should divide your applications to
different caontainers in any case.

Notes;
1. You can balance database requests by using c-jdbc or something
equivalent.
2. I recommend that you well tune your JVM because of GC issues.
3. And i strongly recommend that you get a good book about Tomcat before
you go to solve configuration problems in suitable way.
4. You should install Jmeter in any case and test the results. Jemeter
really helps.

If you have some more deep questions just ask by using private mail.
Take care,
Gokhan