Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "James Kearney(hotmail)" <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2003/11/06 16:05:12 UTC

Lots of unauthorized emails

Hi,

I am running the james server on jameskearney.com and I am getting lots of
emails saying "could not send email to xxx" where xxx is some address that I
have never heard of - so obviously someone unauthorized is using my server.

I have smtp auth set up - so I don't believe that it is the case that the
smtp server is an open relay.

I also have changed the passwords on the smtp accounts - this also does not
help.

The only possibility is that all of these messages were spooled in the short
time before I got smtp auth set up - is there anyway I can check what is
waiting to be sent, and remove it if it is not appropriate.

Failing this I am unsure as to how these nasty people are using my server to
send their junk!

Please help, I don't want to add to the spam problem!

thanks very much

james kearney

Re: Lots of unauthorized emails

Posted by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com>.
There are websites you can use to determine if you are an open relay.
the one I used was ordb.org

It is also possible that you have a virus that is sending out e-mails or
even that someone else has a virus (you are in there address book) and
they are sending out e-mails as you. But do the open relay test first.

Posted by "James Kearney(hotmail)" <ja...@hotmail.com>.
thanks for the advice steve,

I have scheduled the ordb test, but I am confident that this is not the
problem, as I have checked the smtp server using telnet and the Auth is
working fine.

I did disable the RemoteAddrNotInNetwork, but I am sure that these mails are
coming from an outside source using the smtp server. I have ip addresses of
connections coming from outside my network, and error messages about emails
that I sent, and lots of emails in the mail/outgoing directory that I have
not sent (these have now been removed).

I have also changed the password for remote config, and the passwords on the
user accounts... Hopefully this will remedy the situation - if not I am not
sure what else I will do - but I will just have to wait and see.

thanks for the help - much appreciated,

james

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
James,