Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Girish Baxi <gb...@digitalconcepts.com> on 2001/08/06 23:12:06 UTC

tomcat on mac os 10 with virtual PC

hi

was wondering if anyone has tried installinbg tomcat on mac os 10 with
virtual PC .... i have been having hard time doing it .....

any inputs are most welcome

thanx in advance

Re: tomcat on mac os 10 with virtual PC

Posted by Gary W Propp <Ga...@syntegra.com>.
Tomcat runs fine on OS X. Unless you have lots of memory and a fast
machine virtual PC is slow on OS X.

Re: Such a thing as server startup class?

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Erik Weber at eweber@cimedia.com wrote:

> Pier, nice solution. Sort of a Servlet implementation of the adapter pattern.

And it works on ALL servlet engines :)

> So you're saying just make the service() method throw an exception, no
> questions asked?

Or use a filter that is not bound to any URL pattern (but that's only
available on servlet 2.0). Check out the servlet spec (2.2 or 2.3, depending
on what platform you need to need to deploy your app on).

> Also, you were quick to fire off about portability, and I agree, but when you
> work in a WebLogic shop . . . Well, it has some nice features. :)

That's why you go off to a shop and but WebLogic for a few thousand $$$. :)

> I hope to
> discover Tomcat's strengths as well in the near future, now that my company
> plans to use it in a limited production role as well.

Tomcat is the R.I.. A very good one. Concerning API functionalities, Tomcat
will provides few things (interceptors, valves). Other features are
available and will be built in the future, but just remember the tradeoff of
building on top of that, despite of relying on what's provided you by the
platform (those APIs implemented by all vendors)

> All, I would still be interested in hearing any other ideas on the "startup
> class" problem.

    Pier

Re: Such a thing as server startup class?

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Erik Weber at eweber@cimedia.com wrote:

> This is a good discussion.

Indeed...

> I would like to introduce the question: How much work is it to undo the
> platform dependency, and is it worth the liability to take advantage of a nice
> feature of the server?

Depends on what you need to do... If all you need to do is create instances
of objects for your web app, that's the way to go... If you're building a
web app to control your servlet-container, DOH! you need to build around its
APIs :)

A wise approach when designing a web application is examine your
requirements and see, wether it's worth to tie your app down to a container,
or abstract above it... Every problem is different...

> Specifically, would the interceptor approach offer significant benefits over
> the Servlet adapter approach? And how much work would it involve (potentially)
> to adapt the interceptor approach to some other unnamed platform if needed?

Dunno much about interceptors and TC3x...

Re: Such a thing as server startup class?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Erik Weber wrote:

> This is a good discussion.
>
> I would like to introduce the question: How much work is it to undo
> the platform dependency,

How does one do this without insisting that all containers implement the
same APIs with the same behavior?

Oh, yeah, it's already been done in 2.3 with application event
listeners.  :-)

> and is it worth the liability to take
> advantage of a nice feature of the server?

That's always a "risk versus reward" tradeoff.  If I were a malicious
platform vendor, I'd do everything I could to encourage you to utilize my
platform specific stuff and get locked in.

On the other hand, I might be very customer-sensitive and want to provide
you a bunch of cool features above and beyond the spec so that you can be
productive ... but they only work on my platform.

Whether it's worth the risk or not is totally up to you ... there's no pat
answer.

> Specifically, would the interceptor approach offer significant
> benefits over the Servlet adapter approach? And how much work would it
> involve (potentially) to adapt the interceptor approach to some other
> unnamed platform if needed?

If the "unnamed platform" is open source, you could theoretically do this.
If not, are you planning to decompile the bytecodes so that you see how it
works, and then figure out how to hack the insides to use your additional
functions?

The only way to rely on a platform-independent feature is to have it in
the spec.

> -Erik

Craig

Posted by Erik Weber <ew...@cimedia.com>.
This is a good discussion.

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Filip Hanik <ma...@filip.net>.
For Tomcat 3.x, you can create an interceptor to act as a startup class.
you can just configure it using the server.xml file, read more about this in
http://www.filip.net/tomcatbook/TomcatInterceptors.html

Filip

~
Namaste - I bow to the divine in you
~
Filip Hanik
Software Architect
filip@filip.net
www.filip.net

Posted by Erik Weber <ew...@cimedia.com>.
Pier, nice solution. Sort of a Servlet implementation of the adapter pattern. So

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Erik Weber <ew...@cimedia.com>.
Thank you for all the thoughtful suggestions.

I may or may not be able to talk my engineers into trying 4.0. :)

-Erik

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Erik Weber <ew...@cimedia.com>.
> Sounds like time for my favorite URL reference - where to get the spec so
> you can look stuff like this up for yourself :-)
>
>   http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html
>
> On this particular issue, there is no such platform-independent API.  In
> fact, the 2.2 and 2.3 specs explicitly remind you that you *cannot* rely
> on "servlet will stay loaded" behavior in a portable application.  The
> container is free (as far as the spec is concerned) to unload a loaded
> servlet any time it feels like doing so.
>
> That was one of the primary reasons that application event listeners were
> added in 2.3 -- to give apps a portable mechanism that does not rely on
> non-guaranteed assumptions about servlet lifetime, or on container
> specific implementation features.
>
> Craig

Indeed, I need to read the spec. (Hey, I've read JDBC and EJB at least :) Thanks
for the help, though.

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Greg Trasuk at stratuscom@on.aibn.com wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Yes, a good discussion.
>
> I puzzled over this for an application I wrote a while ago.  After many
> hours contemplating the servlet spec (2.2), I finally decided that if I
> created an object and dropped it into the application context, it was
> guaranteed to live as long as the servlet container.  My logic was this:
> - The servlet container can load/unload servlets at its pleasure
> - A servlet marked "Load-on-startup" will be loaded and have its init()
> method called when the container starts, even if its not mapped to a URL.
> - Java won't finalize an instance so long as another instance or class has
> a reference to it.
> - The application context will maintain a reference to the instance.
> - If the servlet container destroys the application context, it's probably
> a sign that I should reinitialize everything anyway.
>
> Could some of the folks who are more familiar with the specs and
> implementation comment on whether this logic is correct and portable to all
> containers?  It worked for the application under Tomcat 3.x, but I've always
> had nagging doubts.

All YES but the last two... You cannot be guaranteed that the container will
maintain a reference until it dies... BUT at the same time, I haven't seen
anyone doing the contrary...

    Pier

RE: Such a thing as server startup class?

Posted by Greg Trasuk <st...@on.aibn.com>.
Hi all:

[...]

Thanks,

Greg Trasuk, President
http://stratuscom.ca

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Erik Weber wrote:

> > In a servlet 2.2 world, what most people do is declare a servlet to be
> > <load-on-startup> and initialize things in the init() method of that
> > servlet.  This is relying on the container to never unload that servlet
> > for the lifetime of the app (Tomcat doesn't unload anything until shutdown
> > time), but it basically works.
> >
> > Craig McClanahan
>
> Good point. If the Servlet were to be unloaded, another instance would
> need to be loaded right away. Is there any (platform-independent) way
> to guarantee that at least one instance of a Servlet will always be
> loaded, even if it's not set up to handle HTTP requests?

Sounds like time for my favorite URL reference - where to get the spec so
you can look stuff like this up for yourself :-)

  http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

On this particular issue, there is no such platform-independent API.  In
fact, the 2.2 and 2.3 specs explicitly remind you that you *cannot* rely
on "servlet will stay loaded" behavior in a portable application.  The
container is free (as far as the spec is concerned) to unload a loaded
servlet any time it feels like doing so.

That was one of the primary reasons that application event listeners were
added in 2.3 -- to give apps a portable mechanism that does not rely on
non-guaranteed assumptions about servlet lifetime, or on container
specific implementation features.

> -Erik

Craig

Re: Such a thing as server startup class?

Posted by Erik Weber <ew...@cimedia.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Erik Weber wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I have minimal experience with Tomcat, and didn't see any mention of this in
> looking over the docs.
>
> I am used to developing in WebLogic. WebLogic supports what are called startup
> classes. You register the name of the class in the server's properties file,
> and when the server starts, it instantiates that class with arguments included
> in the properties file.
>
> I have found this is a nice way to start up asynchronous subscribers to a
> messaging queue. Upon instantiation, which again is automatic, the various
> subscribers, in their constructors, simply register themselves as listeners
> with the queue.
>
> I was wondering if Tomcat supports a similar construct as this (startup
> classes). If not, perhaps I could implement my queue subscribers as Servlets,
> but this seems strange, considering mulitple threads should not be running
> through a single subscriber.
>
> Any thoughts or advice on this?

The servlet 2.3 spec (and, therefore, Tomcat 4) supports a portable
mechanism for this kind of thing called "application event
listeners".  Using this, you can register (in web.xml) listeners that are
notified when the application is started and shut down -- quite helpful
for this sort of thing.

In a servlet 2.2 world, what most people do is declare a servlet to be
<load-on-startup> and initialize things in the init() method of that
servlet.  This is relying on the container to never unload that servlet
for the lifetime of the app (Tomcat doesn't unload anything until shutdown
time), but it basically works.

> -Erik

Craig McClanahan

Such a thing as server startup class?

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Adam Wildavsky at adam@tameware.cnchost.com wrote:

>>> I did have to chmod 755 the *.sh scripts after installation.
>>
>> ? Using a zip?
>
> Doh! Yes, I used the zip downloaded from the Tomcat page, but I
> allowed StuffIt Expander to extract the files. Next time I'll use
> "unzip" from the command line.

Nah, download the .tar.gz one and use gnutar -zxvf. The .ZIP format doesn't
contain information such as file permissions (the ones changed by chmod)

    Pier

Re: tomcat on mac os 10 with virtual PC

Posted by Adam Wildavsky <ad...@tameware.cnchost.com>.
At 8:28 AM +0100 8/7/01, Pier P. Fumagalli wrote:
>Adam Wildavsky at adam@tameware.cnchost.com wrote:
>>
>>  I couldn't figure out what to set JAVA_HOME to, so I didn't set it,
>>  and all seems well.
>
>/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home

Thanks! That will come in handy.

>  > I did have to chmod 755 the *.sh scripts after installation.
>
>? Using a zip?

Doh! Yes, I used the zip downloaded from the Tomcat page, but I
allowed StuffIt Expander to extract the files. Next time I'll use
"unzip" from the command line.

AW

Re: tomcat on mac os 10 with virtual PC

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Adam Wildavsky at adam@tameware.cnchost.com wrote:

> I couldn't figure out what to set JAVA_HOME to, so I didn't set it,
> and all seems well.

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home

> I did have to chmod 755 the *.sh scripts after installation.

? Using a zip?

> I found that I could run the scripts as a user if I wanted to listen
> on port 8080, but I had to use sudo when I changed the configuration
> file to listen on port 80. I expect the same is true on other
> platforms.

All unix based platforms.

> One puzzling aspect occurred after I first installed Tomcat on the
> default port. Internet Explorer [v5.1b1 (3408)] crashed when I tried
> to access http://localhost:8080. Changing this to
> http://localhost:8080/index.html worked, as did using the OmniWeb
> browser. Moving Tomcat to port 80 eliminated the crash entirely.

3408 doesn't give me any problem on port 80/8080/800 or whatever... Must be
some kind of weird header 3.2.3 sets and that 4.0 doesn't.

    Pier

Re: tomcat on mac os 10 with virtual PC

Posted by Adam Wildavsky <ad...@tameware.cnchost.com>.
At 11:04 PM +0100 8/6/01, Pier P. Fumagalli wrote:
>I don't know anything about VirtualPC, but TC4.0 runs just fine on OS/X
>10.0.4 and 10.1 alpha (those are my primary development environments, so :)
>
>     Pier

As does Tomcat 3.2.3. I'm new to Tomcat, but I had no trouble
installing it. My biggest decision was where to put it! (I decided on
/Users/Shared, for no particular reason.)

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.