Posted to general@commons.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2003/11/24 18:25:58 UTC

Re: [REQUEST] Product groupings

In message <98...@optonline.net>, "Geir Magnusso
n Jr." writes:
>Is there a good post describing the benefit of these changes?  I don't
>understand the upside of moving oro and regex from one umbrella to

I'm trying to catch up on some of the discussion that I didn't have the
time to participate in.  The main benefit of moving oro and regex
to Apache Commons is that they are largely maintenance-mode projects.
They are also small projects.  They will likely never grow to the level
of being top-level projects, so Apache Commons appears to be a
natural home.  Despite the number of committers in the avail file for
each project, they really have only one active committer apiece.  Their
user and dev mailing lists also have very low volume and could be
consolidated into one list.  Moving to Apache Commons will rectify these
problems in one fell swoop and also have the effect of allowing the two
projects to collaborate better (I actually think the proper grouping is
under a text processing group) and create higher-level text-processing
APIs that can leverage either of the regular expression engines (oro
already supports multiple engines).  Furthermore, should development of
C or C++ APIs be desired, they can sensibly be pursued in Commons, but
not in Jakarta, which by definition, is Java-centric.  Finally, since
Commons is supposed to pilot the adoption of SVN, oro can help with the
piloting the accountless committer setup.  There are two contributors to
oro who could be voted as committers, but granted only SVN access, which is
the direction the ASF appears want to go to avoid creating more shell
accounts.

None of these benefits are compelling by themselves.  My principal
desire to see oro and regex move is to facilitate the oversight and
approval of releases.  Right now, who on the Jakarta PMC other than
myself knows the status of oro and who other than Vadim (and myself
who moderates the regexp lists)?  They are little subprojects that have
gotten lost in the shuffle, victims of their boring natures and
mature "good enough to get the job done" states.  If Jakarta is
indeed overstretched, moving these two little subprojects to Apache
Commons, a project designed to oversee little subprojects, will help
relieve some of the Jakarta PMC's workload.

daniel

Re: [REQUEST] Product groupings

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Or moving them to jakarta-commons?

At apache commons there will still be only be a small community (of two?)
and less connection to those jakarta committers who may feel some ownership.

At jakarta-commons there is a vibrant community of 60+ committers and many
other watchers. There may even be the desire to develop. IMHO, j-c is pretty
good at handling small mature projects.

Stephen