Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Dominique Devienne <DD...@lgc.com> on 2002/12/17 19:03:32 UTC

FYI: Follow up on the XML'ization of MS Office 11

... which follows the SUN and MS bashing thread where this subject was
brushed on.
I'm just forwarding the news, no need to shoot/flame the messenger. Thanks,
--DD

From: xmlhack daily news digest: 17 Dec 2002

Microsoft Office embraces XML http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1839
<http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1839>

  For many participants, the most memorable event of XML 2002 will be
  Jean Paoli's presentation of Office 11, which promises to deliver
  easier access to XML for hundreds of millions of work stations.
  (Tools, Comment: 20:28 16 Dec 2002 UTC)

Re: FYI: Follow up on the XML'ization of MS Office 11

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I find it rather amusing that you need Office 11 to have ACCESS to XML.
 After all XML has been so restricted until now ;-).

Regardless, I hope (I think) Micorsoft REALLY makes Office XML compliant
such that it behaves nicely in Office.  Currently you can save it as a
kinda XML format but its not usable in a server situation because of
Office's quirks, IE->Office quirks (oddly enough this works better with
Netscape 4.x+), and tendency to CRASH on non-insubstantial documents or
just take for flippin ever (in a way that just doesn't make sense if
they are parsing using any parser I've ever used)..  If Microsoft
ACTUALLY does this, than after a short period I'll consider POI to be
kin to ECS (http://jakarta.apache.org/ecs/); however, I wouldn't
pre-reserve my copy just yet or start a big "Finally Microsoft embraces
open file formats yet"...

I sold my stock in MS a long time ago when I realized they had no
credibility (which made me rather uncomfortable as a relatively
conservative investor...my IBM stock did better anyhow when you count
the dividends).

-Andy

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Brian Ewins <Br...@i-documentsystems.com>.
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

>on 2002/12/17 10:22 AM, "Brian Ewins" <Br...@i-documentsystems.com>
>wrote:
>

>>This is old news I but I just saw it today: there's a tool that can
>>convert word 2000 docs (saved as html) to an xml doc and an xsl-t script
>>to generate xsl:fo - and from there to PDF.
>>http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/fabgia/wh2fo/wh2fo.html
>>
>>Very nice trick.
>>

>On OSX you can simply save as a PDF when you print the document. No XML
>needed. Get a Mac.
>
>=)

And I can do this in Windows too using Redmon to talk to Ghostscript, or
Distiller; theres a similar GS trick on Linux. However, I wouldn't want
to use wh2fo to make pdf from word docs, that's silly and misses the
usefulness of this trick - having separated the style from the content,
I can now use the style on /different/ content. This turns word into a
tool for wysiwyg authoring of  xsl:fo stylesheets; or more likely, just
get you up and running with xsl:fo by generating the stylesheet for your
corporate docs.

- Baz

Privacy and Confidentiality Notice

The information contained in this E-Mail message is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed.  Such information is confidential and privileged and no mistake in transmission is intended to waive or compromise such privilege.  If you have received it in error, please destroy it and notify us on the telephone number printed above.  If you do not receive complete and legible copies, please telephone us immediately. Any opinions expressed herein including attachments are those of the author only. i-documentsystems Ltd. does not accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information provided or for any changes to this Email, however made, after it was sent. (Please note that it is your responsibility to scan this message for viruses).

Re: OSX

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2003/1/17 5:46 PM, "Brian McCallister" <br...@skife.org> wrote:

> Sun hasn't released a 1.4 JDK for OSX yet, but I use quite a few of the
> 1.4 features daily for work. Is there a ultra-sekret 1.4 JDK for OSX out
> that i am unaware of, or are all of the OSX'ers in Apache using 1.3?

There is a beta 1.4.x JDK...it has bugs, but I have been using it fairly
well for a while now...click the 'Join ADC' button and you can setup a free
account which will give you access...nice thing is that account works across
all of apple's various login pages on their site...

    http://connect.apple.com

-jon

OSX

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@skife.org>.
On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 14:38, Peter Royal wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 17, 2002, at 02:13  PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > Seems as if most of Jakarta use OS X now. Is it just that us X-junkies
> > are
> > loud and proud about it?
>
> I switched recently ( ~ 4mo ). It would be interesting to conduct an
> informal poll.
> -pete

Related to OSX - I am seriously considering moving I just have a concern
about JDK's.

Sun hasn't released a 1.4 JDK for OSX yet, but I use quite a few of the
1.4 features daily for work. Is there a ultra-sekret 1.4 JDK for OSX out
that i am unaware of, or are all of the OSX'ers in Apache using 1.3?

Thanks,
Brian

Re: FYI: Follow up on the XML'ization of MS Office 11

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Conor MacNeill wrote:

> Could I please have site karma?

Done.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> I added a simple poll for Jakarta developers.
>
>     http://jakarta.apache.org/site/os.html
>
> Please update the site with your preferences.

Could I please have site karma?

Thanks
Conor

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2002/12/17 2:29 PM, "Henri Yandell" <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> It's fun? :)

+1! Finally something that isn't just about how much Sun sucks ass.
Although, it would be nice if they did do something someday that wasn't
blatantly stupid (if only you guys could read the JSR-154 list...).

> On a side note, Jakarta needs a Poll/Survey/Questionnaire project someday.
> Least it'd be cool.

I agree.

-jon

--
StudioZ.tv /\ Bar/Nightclub/Entertainment
314 11th Street @ Folsom /\ San Francisco

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
>
> >I added a simple poll for Jakarta developers.
> >
> >    http://jakarta.apache.org/site/os.html
> >
> >Please update the site with your preferences.
> >
> >-jon
> >

> while I plan to site my preference.  I merely am curious what the
> purpose it.  (not a critique or whatever just pure curiosity)

It's fun? :)

On a side note, Jakarta needs a Poll/Survey/Questionnaire project someday.
Least it'd be cool.

Hen

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2002/12/17 2:54 PM, "Henri Yandell" <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> Hey Jon,
>
> Can people have two operating systems of choice for your page?
>
> Hen

If people have more than one preference. I would prefer to have it as the
primary preference of choice, but if you really have grey area, that is cool
as well.

-jon

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

>A nice idea, and a simple way of adding in the votes, but with the issue
>that people without access to jakarta-site2 are unable to commit changes.
>
>If people want to send in patches, or just vote inline, then I'm sure
>people with access can add them. [I'm happy to do so for any I see].

Ok, here it is:

* MS Windows XP - Vadim Gritsenko (came with company's notebook)
* Linux - Vadim Gritsenko (desktop)

Vadim

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2002/12/17 6:27 PM, "Henri Yandell" <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> If this is untrue, then why not give all Jakarta committers access to
> jakarta-site2 to encourage people to work on the site.

Anyone who asks for it gets it. Why it works that way, I don't know. It is
just how it has been done. Changing it is another discussion. Send a patch.

-jon

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> on 2002/12/17 1:15 PM, "Henri Yandell" <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:
>
> > A nice idea, and a simple way of adding in the votes, but with the issue
> > that people without access to jakarta-site2 are unable to commit changes.
>
> I'm sorry, but I'm so tired of hearing that lame excuse over and over again,
> even though it is CLEARLY DOCUMENTED as being untrue for YEARS NOW.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jakarta-site2.html

What lame excuse? My email did not differ from that document with the
exception that I assumed that adding a line to this file might be
something that people would not either get cvs access for, or that they
would not want to deal with building the site themselves.

RE: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
I already have an account setup, but need Karma.  Can you help me with
this?

James Mitchell
Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist
http://www.open-tools.org

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but
when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Scarab

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the status of Scarab is, wrt using it for James?

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Danny Angus wrote:
>>Please update the site with your preferences.
>

> Jon,
> Server, desktop or what?
> d.

Ok, I updated site to include Henri Yandell and my config

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Quick stupid question.  At once time Jon expressed the thought that
jakarta-site was the proper module to use (jakarta-site2/jakarta-site
are now
the same thing and once commit affects the other... I suppose this is
probably
a link, but I bet the windoze folks don't know what that is) and that
we'd eventually
migrate back to it and jakarta-site2 would go away..  Does having karma
to jakarta-site2
mean you do to jakarta-site and is this still the plan?

-Andy

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

RE: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <tr...@iprimus.com.au>.
Me too please.

-- Glen Stampoultzis (glens@apache.org)

RE: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

RE: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Ahem.. I'd rather not say ;-)

d.

Re: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

RE: [POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

[POLL] OS of choice

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
>
> > on 2002/12/17 10:22 AM, "Brian Ewins" <Br...@i-documentsystems.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > This is old news I but I just saw it today: there's a tool that can
> > > convert word 2000 docs (saved as html) to an xml doc and an xsl-t script
> > > to generate xsl:fo - and from there to PDF.
> > > http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/fabgia/wh2fo/wh2fo.html
> > >
> > > Very nice trick.
> >
> > On OSX you can simply save as a PDF when you print the document. No XML
> > needed. Get a Mac.
>
> You'd be amazed how quickly you take this for granted. I quite happily
> tell people to send it to me in PDF format. Before I got a mac I used to
> view PDF as some proprietary, impossible to create nasty thing.
>
> Seems as if most of Jakarta use OS X now. Is it just that us X-junkies are
> loud and proud about it?

Yep. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper