Posted to dev@samza.apache.org by Jan Bensien <st...@mail.uni-kiel.de> on 2020/09/01 15:00:52 UTC

Problem regarding the Monitoring of Samza Applications

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to ask.

I am having problems monitoring my Samza application. Using the
JMX-Exporter I found that the groups: KafkaSystemConsumersMetrics,
ZkJobCoordinatorMetrics and ZkUtilsMetrics are not emitted. I am using
Samza 1.5.0 in combination with Beam 2.22.0 and my application is
written using the Beam Api. My configuration file is a copy of the file
used in the Beam example, except that I added:

metrics.reporter.jmx.class=org.apache.samza.metrics.reporter.JmxReporterFactory

metrics.reporters=jmx

Using these configs for the execution of the Beam example I was able to
get all metrics groups.

I found the following warnings in my own application log multiple times:
javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException:
kafka.consumer:type=app-info,id=kafka_admin_consumer-uc1applicationbeam_jan_0901133413_faffdbda-d2e5666d_be95_4bd1_b6b7_86f6c854d9a0

Looking further I saw that multiple kafka consumers using the same
client.id have been instantiated. I am not sure if this is the
underlying issue and was not able to track why this happened.
Furthermore i added the full error message and execution log here:
https://gist.github.com/janb15/c580fa814a895302954cef998cff419d
Did someone else run into this issue and managed to find a solution?

Many thanks,
Jan

Re: Problem regarding the Monitoring of Samza Applications

Posted by Yi Pan <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Jan,

Thanks for reporting this metrics issue. We will take a further look and
get back to you.

Thanks a lot!

-Yi