Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com> on 2002/10/23 00:39:05 UTC

[VOTE] documentation

I will commit the current status (far from finished but other will be
able to contribute) of the new documentation (Forrest) and also
instruction on how to generate the files and contribute to this (huge)
effort.

Forrest processes the files from the directory:

      src/documentation/content/xdocs

but unfortunately Xindice doesn't have a src directory.  I think it may
be confusing if Xindice has both a 'src' and 'java' directories.

Should I modify Forrest or should we gently move the java directory into
the src directory? It seems that xml.apache has no really strong policy
regarding the organization of the source tree.

So I would like some vote:

[ ] go with the src/documentation hierarchy
[ ] modify Forrest to our needs

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

Re: [VOTE] documentation

Posted by James Bates <ja...@amplexor.com>.
On Wednesday 23 October 2002 00:39, Vladimir R. Bossicard wrote:
> I will commit the current status (far from finished but other will be
> able to contribute) of the new documentation (Forrest) and also
> instruction on how to generate the files and contribute to this (huge)
> effort.
>
> Forrest processes the files from the directory:
>
>       src/documentation/content/xdocs
>
> but unfortunately Xindice doesn't have a src directory.  I think it may
> be confusing if Xindice has both a 'src' and 'java' directories.
>
> Should I modify Forrest or should we gently move the java directory into
> the src directory? It seems that xml.apache has no really strong policy
> regarding the organization of the source tree.
>
> So I would like some vote:
>
> [ ] go with the src/documentation hierarchy
> [ ] modify Forrest to our needs
>
> -Vladimir

I'd say move to src/.  It seems most logical, especially as you intend to
introduce a dist/.

Re: [VOTE] documentation

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Vladimir R. Bossicard wrote:
> I will commit the current status (far from finished but other will be
> able to contribute) of the new documentation (Forrest) and also
> instruction on how to generate the files and contribute to this (huge)
> effort.
>
> Forrest processes the files from the directory:
>
>      src/documentation/content/xdocs
>
> but unfortunately Xindice doesn't have a src directory.  I think it may
> be confusing if Xindice has both a 'src' and 'java' directories.
>
> Should I modify Forrest or should we gently move the java directory into
> the src directory? It seems that xml.apache has no really strong policy
> regarding the organization of the source tree.
>
> So I would like some vote:
>
> [+1] go with the src/documentation hierarchy

Using the "common Apache layout" is a usability enhancement, so it's
more than welcome. But consider moving around things via "mv" on the
server so that CVS history is preserved.

 > [OT] I would really like to see a Jakarta project dealing with the
 > jars versioning so that you only download jars you don't have (like
 > the 'make install' of freebsd)

JJAR is your friend, but still in the works:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-sandbox/jjar/

Ciao,

--
Gianugo

Re: [VOTE] documentation

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.
Isn't that called WebStart?

Mark

--
Mark J Stang
System Architect

Re: [VOTE] documentation

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.

Re: [VOTE] documentation

Posted by Michael Westbay <we...@users.sourceforge.net>.
As a non-voting member, I like the idea of changing the "java" directory to
"src."  It's more in line with other projects.

As for the ant.[bat|sh] issue, I think that a good point was made in another
thread to keep the script (and .jar) for ease of use by beginners, but be
sure that build.xml can be run with ant from the command line as well.  In
other words, don't tie build.xml to the ant.[bat|sh].

--
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/

Re: [VOTE] documentation

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.
> You can specify where Forrest looks for various files, in the
> forrest.properties file.  See
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest/your-project.html#N100C3

looks like I have some documentation to read :-)

Thanks

-Vladimir

> As a separate issue - not forced by Forrest - it might be a good idea to
> rearrange Xindice's directory structures, which are rather unusual.

well I was secretly hoping that Forrest would force Xindice to change
its directory structures... I have to find other arguments then :-)

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

Re: [VOTE] documentation

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:39:05PM -0700, Vladimir R. Bossicard wrote:
> I will commit the current status (far from finished but other will be
> able to contribute) of the new documentation (Forrest) and also
> instruction on how to generate the files and contribute to this (huge)
> effort.
>
> Forrest processes the files from the directory:
>
>      src/documentation/content/xdocs
>
> but unfortunately Xindice doesn't have a src directory.  I think it may
> be confusing if Xindice has both a 'src' and 'java' directories.
>
> Should I modify Forrest or should we gently move the java directory into
> the src directory? It seems that xml.apache has no really strong policy
> regarding the organization of the source tree.
>
> So I would like some vote:

 [ ] go with the src/documentation hierarchy
 [X] modify Forrest to our needs

You can specify where Forrest looks for various files, in the
forrest.properties file.  See
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/your-project.html#N100C3

As a separate issue - not forced by Forrest - it might be a good idea to
rearrange Xindice's directory structures, which are rather unusual.  Or
just ignore the issue for now and wait for Maven/Centipede to stabilize
and then adopt them :)

--Jeff