Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2019/02/28 21:23:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] Start voting on graduating?

Hi all,

I have done a little double-checking and to me it seems that we are in good shape regarding our homework for graduating.

The only thing on our todo-list that isn’t done fully, is the subscription of all initial contributors.
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/plc4x.html
Here I would propose that we simply decide on how we want to handle them.

I would suggest the following methodology:

  1.  In general “PPMC List == Podling Committer List” -->”PMC List == TLP Comitter List” (as a start)
  2.  We send an email to the dev list, asking which initial contributor wishes to be carried over --> Everyone that responds, will be carried over, the others will not
This way we are not excluding anyone wanting to contribute in the future, but are cleaning up the PMC list to the ones interested in the project.

Here’s the list of homework:
Collaborative Development
·         Have all of the active long-term volunteers been identified and acknowledged as committers on the project?

Check

·         Are there three or more independent committers? (The legal definition of independent is long and boring, but basically it means that there is no binding relationship between the individuals, such as a shared employer, that is capable of overriding their free will as individuals, directly or indirectly.)

Check

·         Are project decisions being made in public by the committers?

Check

·         Are the decision-making guidelines published and agreed to by all of the committers?

We might need to write this up and vote on it …
Licensing awareness
·         Are all licensing, trademark, credit issues being taken care of and acknowledged by all committers?

Other

  *   We have multiple people able to perform releases and the process is well documented

Check (I think … or I guess Justin would have mentioned anything … I did address the last thing that came up that would have also applied to us “maven-wrapper issue” and all issues with remarks form the last releases have been addressed successfully)

So I guess we should start with the decision making guidelines … if you are ok with that, I’ll check the guidelines of other projects and write up a first draft that we can discuss here.

If you all agree that we should apply for graduation, it would be super cool, if we could add this to March’s board meetings schedule … this way we could use the platform of Building IoT in April (01.04.-03.04 to spread the word), which might be a great promotion for PLC4X.

What do you think?

Chris

Re: [DISCUSS] Start voting on graduating?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well as far as I can see it we could address most pretty quickly ... it's just the:

QU40

Is something we couldn't do immediately IMHO.

Chris

Am 07.03.19, 11:55 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

    Hi all,

    Having gone through Justin's link to the Apache maturity model [1] I guess we are on an extremely good path (Keep in mind this is not a maturity model for incubator projects, but all Apache projects)

    As far as I can see it, we get 100% of the points for most categories. There are however some, where we could improve with little effort:

    Quality
    - QU30: The project provides a well-documented, secure and private channel to report security issues, along with a documented way of responding to them.
    Apache usually has a channel for that [2] ... but we should add a page guiding people there.
    - QU40: The project puts a high priority on backwards compatibility and aims to document any incompatible changes and provide tools and documentation to help users transition to new features.
    Till now we have had changes of the API which were necessary but documented. I guess we should start stabilizing the API soon (Probably with a 1.0.0 release) as soon as we have sorted out any possibly still existing API quirks

    Community:
    CO50 - The way in which contributors can be granted more rights such as commit access or decision power is clearly documented and is the same for all contributors.
    We haven't officially discussed and documented this.

    Consensus Building:
    CS10 - The project maintains a public list of its contributors who have decision power -- the project's PMC (Project Management Committee) consists of those contributors.
    We should create and maintain such a list
    CS40 - In Apache projects, vetoes are only valid for code commits and are justified by a technical explanation, as per the Apache voting rules defined in CS30.
    This sort of contradicts our decision making guidelines at [3] but this table is based on the official Apache document [4] ... not quite sure what to do here ... will take it to the incubator list.

    In the end we should also add a document to our site that is similar to this [5]

    So ... with this ... would it be ok for us to vote on becoming a TLP or would we have to address everything first?

    Chris

    [1] https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
    [2] http://www.apache.org/security/
    [3] http://plc4x.apache.org/developers/decisions.html
    [4] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DefaultProjectGuidelines
    [5] https://github.com/apache/groovy/blob/576b3c5d6a7022ac4a8df1ef118666456ce627fb/MATURITY.adoc

    Am 04.03.19, 13:11 schrieb "Julian Feinauer" <j....@pragmaticminds.de>:

        Hi,

        thanks for the clarification.
        Then I'm fine with the doc : )

        Julian

        Am 04.03.19, 13:09 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

            Hi Julian,

            I had an error in my table markup ... in a few minutes the footnotes should appear ... they're already in the adoc file, but not rendered.

            The document is from a point of view of the to become TLP (Cause otherwise there would have been more to mention ... "IPMC approval of Releases, Committers, PPMCs", ...

            And as soon as we are a TLP we no longer have a PPMC, but a PMC as the first "P" stands for "Podling".

            And I think you are misunderstanding the "Board" ... this is not the Incubator PMC (IPMC is just the short name of that). The Incubator itself is an Apache TLP and has it's PMC.
            All TLPs report to the Board of the apache foundation. So our Incubator report goes into one big report of the Incubator project and that is then submitted as a big report to the Board.

            Chris

            Am 04.03.19, 12:00 schrieb "Julian Feinauer" <j....@pragmaticminds.de>:

                Hi Chris,

                I read the document and I like it.
                A few findings / remarks:
                - is this document from the perspectiv of a incubating project or the (to become) TLP?
                - You always mention the PMC (should be (P)PMC for a podling)
                - For a podling the "Yes" is missing for board report approval
                - Do the 1) / 2) / 3) Stand for footnotes? If so, they are missing
                - I think there is a slight rendering issue with the "===" at the bottom left

                But these are just slight remarks (except for the podling vs TLP difference).

                Julian

                Am 04.03.19, 10:23 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

                    Hi all,

                    so I just added [1] (will take a few minutes to be live)

                    However I haven't linked it in the menu yet as we haven't discussed it's content.

                    In general it describes what we have been doing so far (That's why I took the liberty to select Consensus Approval for electing new Committers as we have been doing that)

                    If you agree, then I would comment in the link and have it appear in the menu.

                    Chris

                    [1] http://plc4x.apache.org/developers/decision.html

                    Am 04.03.19, 09:59 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

                        Hi all,

                        I am currently creating a copy of the content on https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DefaultProjectGuidelines
                        This is generally agreed upon by the IPMC and I a really good summary. I think we shouldn't do anything different.

                        The main idea of copying instead of linking is: If in the future the linked document would change, we wouldn't notice that.
                        Then we could have people coming by referring to the new version and we haven't realized the changes. This way we could
                        Be made aware of changes, discuss them in the project and update our website.

                        And 1 and 2 in my initial email weren't meant as alternatives. I think we should start with all "carried over PPMCs" being "PMCs" and "Comitters"
                        As we don't have any Committers that are not PPMCs this is sort of a trivial assumption ;-)

                        The number 2 was just a suggestion, that the list of "Carried over PMCs" should be all the IPMCs that responded to the "You want to be carried over" Email.

                        Chris

                        Am 04.03.19, 09:01 schrieb "Sebastian Rühl" <sr...@apache.org>:

                            Hi all,

                            I agree to what Julian wrote and would also would vote to graduate.
                            Currently im a bit involved in private projects but during this march I should find some more time for the project again.

                            Sebastian

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi,

thanks for the fast response Justin.
Then I guess, we could start a vote, couldn't we?

Julian

Am 07.03.19, 12:13 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com>:

    Hi,

    > Having gone through Justin's link to the Apache maturity model [1] I guess we are on an extremely good path (Keep in mind this is not a maturity model for incubator projects, but all Apache projects)

    Also keep in mind that a) the maturity model is not a requirement to graduation but a guide to see where you may be and b) quite a few TLP would have issues in meeting all the requirements.

    Thanks,
    Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Start voting on graduating?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Julian,

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Sebastian R��hl <sr...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Justin,

I'll work on the issues reported in [2] ... didn't know about that page ...

Chris

Am 28.02.19, 23:04 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com>:

    Hi,

    You may want to fill out this [1] it ’s not required but can give you a good idea if you are ready to graduate.

    I'd also check the the website re trademarks and branding and that it has all needed links. [2]

    Thanks,
    Justin

    1. https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
    2. https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/plc4x

Re: [DISCUSS] Start voting on graduating?