Posted to dev@iota.apache.org by Tony Faustini <to...@litbit.com> on 2017/11/08 01:25:20 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Moving iota to 'attic' status

Hi, we have had several  days to get feedback on whether or not to move the iota podling to ‘attic’ status. There has been some interest in keeping the project alive but a number of the principal committers have suggested that the project be moved to ‘attic’ status. Moving the project to the attic status doesn’t mean that the source code is unavailable nor does it mean that a community cannot be build around such a project. Perhaps Justin or Hadrian could give some guidance on working and building community around a project that is in the ‘attic’?

Based on the feedback I am putting the question of moving iota to ‘attic’ status to a vote.

The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least
3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 move iota to attic status
[ ] -1 Do not move iota to attic status because ...

Thanks
-Tony

Posted by Chi Zhang <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

I understand that i am just a newbie for this project, and you guys might
have spent tons of time on it already. That's the part the make me upset
that we are going to leave a project to be retired/attic just cause. I
guess there must be quite a lot of devs like me still want to contribute
and still would like to be a part of the idea of platform for iot.

I apologize in advance if i am making any assumptions that might not be
right, but i feel the reason is project is dying, part of the reason is we
don't have a good useCase/scenario for us to plug this platform into?
Again, i am fairly new to this, we don't see a lot of doc/guides. What's
more important, is the missing of a application scenario?

I personally would love to keep working on it, and if there is anything
that I can start with or help with, i have no issue to contribute my 2 hrs
daily transportation time onto this.

Best,
Chi

--
welcome to http://tao.services
http://www.echozhang.com

Re: [VOTE] Moving iota to 'attic' status

Posted by Sydney Noteboom <sy...@litbit.com>.
+1

Posted by Barbara Malta Gomes <ba...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Barbara Gomes
Computer Engineer

Re: [VOTE] Moving iota to 'attic' status

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 8:10 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just want to point out.  Podlings retire, they don't go to the attic.  The
> same concepts apply though.
>
> John
>
> On 2017-11-07 20:25, Tony Faustini <to...@litbit.com> wrote:
> > Hi, we have had several  days to get feedback on whether or not to move
> the iota podling to ‘attic’ status. There has been some interest in keeping
> the project alive but a number of the principal committers have suggested
> that the project be moved to ‘attic’ status. Moving the project to the
> attic status doesn’t mean that the source code is unavailable nor does it
> mean that a community cannot be build around such a project. Perhaps Justin
> or Hadrian could give some guidance on working and building community
> around a project that is in the ‘attic’?
> >
> > Based on the feedback I am putting the question of moving iota to
> ‘attic’ status to a vote.
> >
> > The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
> least
> > 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.
> >
> > [ ] +1 move iota to attic status
> > [ ] -1 Do not move iota to attic status because ...
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Tony
> >
> > > On Oct 31, 2017, at 2:31 PM, Barbara Malta Gomes <
> barbaramaltagomes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I recommend moving the project to Attic as well.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 9:44 AM, <rutvij.clerk@icloud.com <mailto:
> rutvij.clerk@icloud.com>> wrote:
> > > I recommend moving the project to Attic in its current state.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Rutvij

> in this project, Please make this project alive again. Anyone have design
> documents and any information related to this project then we all should
> make this project active again.

> interested in this project, and hope to make contribute to this project.
> some of you still got interests in this project, I hope you guys can reply
> this email, I need your help to learn more about this project.

> last few months. I would like to start a discussion on whether or not to
> dissolve the PMC and move the project to the Attic. This doesn’t
> necessarily mean that the project cannot re-emerge at a future time as an
> ASF project. It would be shelved in the attic for now. The source code
> would still be available under the Apache license as is the case with many
> open source projects. Perhaps a community will emerge in the near future
> and we the project can be moved back to the ASF podling process.

> a podling project and you feel you have the time to volunteer please
> respond to this thread explaining how you can help.

> and based on the feedback we either

> the Attic

> > > --
> > > Barbara Gomes
> > > Computer Engineer
> > > San Jose, CA

Gunnar

Re: [VOTE] Moving iota to 'attic' status

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
I suspect we can consider this a positive vote, as a result does it make sense to move on to the general@incubator vote?

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 9:19 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there is, or could be enough PPMC to provide oversight, but that's
> not the point. I understand your perception, but that (true or not) is a
> consequence of lack of activity on the project. One cannot have more active
> oversight than active contributors.
>
> Unfortunately contributions were limited to mostly 2 people and even those
> were in bursts. A release of something useful to a larger audience was
> constantly delayed. We all agree that the execution did not follow the
> vision and the interest expressed is not backed up by contributions.
>
> I do not see any reason to delay the move to attic, even by a few days.
>
> Hadrian
>
> On 01/04/2018 03:30 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I believe you need a vote on the IPMC general list to do that right?
>>
>> While there does seem some interest from some people outside the project
>> I don't see any pull requests or on list discussion on what to do and I
>> have some doubts if there enough of a PPMC to continue oversight of the
>> project.
>>
>> Lets give it a few days and see if anyone else says anything and if not
>> then hold a vote there.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Justin

Gunnar

Re: [VOTE] Moving iota to 'attic' status

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Pierre,

No, it does not.  Pleae review the retirement guide https://incubator.apache.org/guides/retirement.html