Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2012/10/03 19:26:01 UTC

[ASFCS40] Redirect cloudstack.org and docs.cloudstack.org as part of the 4.0 "release"

All,

I'd like to propose that Citrix (if willing) redirect cloudstack.org
to http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/ and docs.cloudstack.org to
the appropriate sub-page of the ASF site.

Specifically, I'd like to propose that this happens as fast as
possible.  The impact will be a simplified experience for users, once
we get through our first official ASF release.

I don't see any reason to wait...

Any concerns?  Can someone make this happen?

-chip

Re: [ASFCS40] Redirect cloudstack.org and docs.cloudstack.org as part of the 4.0 "release"

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <Ah...@citrix.com>.
Ideally the old links then redirect to the ASF endpoints for some time.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

For the record, I am +1 on redirecting both sites.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com> wrote:

> Also CloudStack.org<http://CloudStack.org> as it stands get's about
> 125,000 visits a month from organic search and tens of thousands of links
> to direct pages, you should 301 redirect the old to the new so all the
> search and hard link folks don't get 404'd.  You'll need someone to map all
> the redirects and it's not trivial.

One shortcut is a blanket redirect of any path to the root Apache
CloudStack homepage.

> Also If you break all those links traffic will drop pretty significantly
> IMHO until Google re-indexes and all the old content and then the number of
> people that would normally find out about CloudStack.org<
> http://CloudStack.org> through search wouldn't.

That's fine IMO.

> Also the content on the incubator site is pretty good for the hard-hitting
> sysadmin or open source guys but new users might be a little intimidated.

Who's our audience?

And, we have a chance to improve the website post-4.0. Should be an ongoing
effort.

> -  What should we do with the old content is do you want to keep it or
> move it to something like CloudStackUsers.org<http://CloudStackUsers.org>
> or the like?

I don't think we should set up another website. That will only add to the
confusion.

Let's get an export of all the data, and fold it into our website or the
wiki.

>  - Apache Incubator doesn't have forums so do you abandon the forums?
> (There are over 11,000 registered forum users)

Yes, abandon the forums.

Perhaps put up a page on our website with an explanation, saying we've
moved to the mailing lists.

Provide a link to the mailing list, and perhaps provide a link to a static
archive for the forums.

Not sure where you would host that. Who owns the content?

Let's get a project blog at: https://blogs.apache.org/

>  - Should we still announce events and do sign-ups (we have thousands of
> historical sign-ups for Build a Cloud Days and user conferences and the
> capability to send invites to past attendees based on geography etc. baked
> into the site).

Yep! On announce@a.o, user@, and dev@ along with the website, blog, and
Twitter account.

(I presume we have control of a CloudStack Twitter account.)

> - There are 30,000+ people signed up for a newsletter on  CloudStack.org<
> http://CloudStack.org> when we donated the project to the ASF I stopped
> sending updates. Do you want to start doing that to help promote the
> project, migrate to some new system or some other option.

What sort of thing would you put in the news letter?

Can we use announce@a.o and the blog for this sort of stuff?

If not, do we want a project specific announce@?

I doubt many projects have such a thing, but it may be possible.

> - Alias a new community approved domain to the existing site eg
> CloudStackUsers.org<http://CloudStackUsers.org>. test it to make sure it
> works and nothing's hard-coded or broken.

Let's not bifurcate our efforts or our community.

> - Really make sure that the incubator site experience is good (my pet
> peeve is that there is no common navigation to get from bugs to docs to the
> main site)

I don't think this should block 4.0. Also, patches welcome! :)

> - Then point CloudStack.org<http://CloudStack.org> to the Incubator site
> - http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/

+!

> - Divide content for Apache CloudStack development to CloudStack.org<
> http://CloudStack.org> and really work on the user experience for
> developers and start migrating content systematically to Apache.

Not sure what you mean by this.

> - Come to consensus on what to do with the old content on CloudStack (i'll
> volunteer to keep it maintained and collaborate with whomever the PPMC
> wants to give access to is cool with me) until we decide.

A static export would be nice, but I don't know where it would be hosted,
or who owns the rights. Do you?

Thanks!

--
NS

Re: [ASFCS40] Redirect cloudstack.org and docs.cloudstack.org as part of the 4.0 "release"

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 12:17 PM, Alex Huang wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Do you have any details on progress on this?

I'm finishing up the content migration for a few pages, and then we'll
do the redirect before the release. I've talked to Infra and they say it
should be no problem to create a vhost that points cloudstack.org ->
what's in SVN for the site at http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/.

Best,

Joe

--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

RE: [ASFCS40] Redirect cloudstack.org and docs.cloudstack.org as part of the 4.0 "release"

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
Dave,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: [ASFCS40] Redirect cloudstack.org and docs.cloudstack.org as part of the 4.0 "release"

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
Yup

If we lose things like the forums, that's actually not necessarily a
bad thing.  Users should be interacting on the users mailing list!  We
have a plan for the relevant ACS docs to be posted, and there's work
to get a cloudstack planet server up and running (to handle blog
aggregation, allowing more than the citrix community managers to share
content).

The confusion occurring right now is my primary concern...  Now's the
time to fix it.

-chip

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <HT...@schubergphilis.com>.