Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com> on 2003/02/01 11:09:39 UTC

Re: [FLOW] Thank you...

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
(...)

>> AFAIK Saint Ovidiu Predescu :-D
>>
>> He had started it in a strange freaky language with continuations....
>>
>> We didn't understand what he was doing, but he seemed so passionate
>> about it that we could not get together the courage to stop him.
>

> No way, I do remember having to keep pushing people aside to give Ovidiu
> room to breath when people were freaking out of Scheme's parenthesis and
> I was probably only one of the two who got the concept and believed in it.
>
>> Then somehow he finally understood that Javascript could be the key to
>> opening the vault of knowledge to mortals, and finally we understood!
>

> He understood because I told him explicitly that scheme would never be
> used no matter how great the concept was.
>
> then he found rhyno+continuations and the rest is history.
>
>> Great respect for brother Ovidiu :-)
>

> And brother Christopher who added continuations to Rhyno.
>
> Kudos to both of you!

I need to join the thread to thank you both for such a powerful construct.

Continuations have been a exotic component in computing languages
(except for Scheme, I never saw the concept in 20+ years). I'm quite
sure that, after Cocoon2.x spreads more, they will be fashionable in
other languages.

While I knew them (I have used "Structure and interpretation of computer
programs" http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/ to improve my programming back
in last century ;-) ) I never thought that they could be used to freeze
the state of a web application in such a clean way.

And I never thought that JavaScript could be made "to be continued..." ;-)

Regards,
      Santiago