Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Rodney Kite <rk...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2015/10/29 07:23:34 UTC

Traversing and filling a PDF with 2.0

   I have been using PDFBox 1.8 and have just tried 2.0.  I have been using PDFBox to open a blank goverment PDF and fill out fields while walking the document like a DOM tree.

So I have been using PDField.getKids() a lot to traverse the document.

Can this still be done?  Is there an example on how to do it?  I have looked at the examples with the source but only see getting a field by name and setting it in the SetField.java example.

Re: Traversing and filling a PDF with 2.0

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

> Am 29.10.2015 um 07:34 schrieb Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Am 29.10.2015 um 07:23 schrieb Rodney Kite <rk...@yahoo.com.INVALID>:
>>
>>   I have been using PDFBox 1.8 and have just tried 2.0.  I have been using PDFBox to open a blank goverment PDF and fill out fields while walking the document like a DOM tree.
>>
>> So I have been using PDField.getKids() a lot to traverse the document.
>
> you can use
>
> for (PDField field : form.getFieldTree())
> {
>

> ... (do something)
> }
>
> BR
> Maruan

some additional information. PDFBox 2.0.0 now has

- PDTerminalField (a field which children are annotations). To get the annotations associated with the field you can use PDTerminalField.getWidgets().
- PDNonTerminalField (a field which children are fields).  To get the children you can use PDNonTerminalField.getChildren().

The easiest is to use PDAcroForm.getFieldTree().

BR
Maruan

Posted by Rodney Kite <rk...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.