Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by sn...@cob.org on 2006/12/28 17:15:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Domain Names in Apache

Hi Stephanie,

I don't believe Apache will provide you with the DNS services required to
resolve your domain name to your computer.  If you have Apache installed on
a Windows server version (NT,2000,2003) then you may be able to configure
Windows to provide you with the DNS services which will allow people to
type in your domain and have your website show up.  Here's a KB from
Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172953

Hope this helps.
____________________________
Steven

             "Stephanie
             Trentham"
             <strentham2@allte                                          To
             l.net>                    <us...@httpd.apache.org>
                                                                        cc
             12/28/2006 07:54
                                       [users@httpd] Domain Names in
                                       Apache
             Please respond to
             users@httpd.apach
                   e.org

Hi,

I have apache installed on Windows and working correctly. After exploring
the installation and FAQ I am left with one question. I have a domain name
and currently using web server services for this domain name through
godaddy.com. I intend to drop these services and run it on my own server.
The domain is merely a personal test and learn thing and not truly
important that it is running at 100% so I am comfortable running it through
my own server. However, I would like to know how to configure apache to
host this domain for me before I stop services at godaddy just so I know
that I can do this. Hitting http:localhost:8080 works for me (had to change
ports, 80 is apparently assigned to another service) but how do I know
where to point the domain name and is that all I will need to do in order
to serve the domain? (ex. Nameserver1, nameserver2) I don’t know what the
nameservers would be or how to figure this out and I don’t know where to
put this info in apache in order to configure it for the domain.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie TrenthamNo virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.