Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by jayenho <ja...@gssd.com.cn> on 2009/05/11 04:39:21 UTC

james deployment crossing different J2EE app server?

Hi all, I am a newbie as using the james, here comes my first query, I have
noted that there is an embedded phoenix container within the james, is there
any simple and feasible approach to migrate james to any J2EE app server,
e.g. weblogic? I also noted that there already existed some like
spring-deployment branch for james now, can I just use it directly? any
missing features comparing to the normal (non-spring) version?

Would any brother pls kindly help me out? Thank you very much.

Re: james deployment crossing different J2EE app server?

Posted by jayenho <ja...@gssd.com.cn>.

Eric MacAdie-2 wrote:

> jayenho wrote:
>> I have a further question, for the spring-deployment branch, can it be
>> built
>> out as a war file which can be deployed to different app server instead
>> of a
>> standalone integrated file? that is what i mean to deploy james
>> accrossing
>> different app server/container? Pls help.
>>
> Maybe I do not understand your requirements, but: Why are you trying to
> run James in WebLogic? Why not just run it as an SMTP server?
>
> Eric MacAdie

Well, it is up to the EA roadmap which my company is standing on, just as I
mentioned, Java+Oracle is the main direction, and we need a secure and
flexible architecture, by using the James as a Java EE application, we need
not care too much about the non-functional requirement such as monitoring
and high availability, which should become almost solved. But of course, it
is basing on the easiness of migrating James from current container to
different app server. And most of all, we have to build add-ons to James to
fulfill our further functional requirement, that's why I evaluate James
which is a pure java and open source related. I can't mention too much but
hope I have already answered your question.

Re: james deployment crossing different J2EE app server?

Posted by Eric MacAdie <er...@MacAdie.net>.

Posted by jayenho <ja...@gssd.com.cn>.
Thank you so much for your kindly response, I noted that there is a HOW-TO
file under the svn trunk within the spring-deployment package, I may try to
follow the guideline and verify if it is feasible and be able to fulfill my
requirement, thanks again.

Re: james deployment crossing different J2EE app server?

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 04:39, jayenho <ja...@gssd.com.cn> wrote:

> Hi all, I am a newbie as using the james, here comes my first query, I have
> noted that there is an embedded phoenix container within the james,

Yes, James is based upon this container for ages.

> is there
> any simple and feasible approach to migrate james to any J2EE app server,
> e.g. weblogic?

The Geronimo folks worked on integrating with James and there seem to
be other solutions.
But none of them is simple, as of today.

> I also noted that there already existed some like
> spring-deployment branch for james now, can I just use it directly?

Yes, but you have to build it from svn trunk. There is no released and
thoroughly tested version yet.

> any
> missing features comparing to the normal (non-spring) version?

No.

> Would any brother pls kindly help me out? Thank you very much.

Sure, just keep posting. (Please consider joining list
server-dev@james.apache.org and post there, because the Spring-based
deployment is  un-released, low documented, in-development stuff).

  Bernd