Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by "Edward L. Knoll" <ed...@fedex.com> on 2003/02/19 21:40:45 UTC

Description of attributes.

Are the <xsl:output> attributes values and associated behavior
documented anywhere for Xalan C++?  Can't get to the FAQ sheets or I'd
go look there.  Specifically, I trying to figure out what might control
how '&&xx;' sequences in the input XML file would be translated and
output.  I have XSL stylesheets which result in text and and html
output.  I think the html output is okay, but I'm getting some
unexpected character sequences for the text output.

Thanks,
Ed Knoll

--
Edward L. Knoll   Phone (FedEx)     : (719)484-2717
                  e-mail (FedEx)    : edward.knoll@fedex.com

Re: Description of attributes.

Posted by David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com>.

Hi Ed,

Xalan-C supports the standard attributes from the XSLT recommendation, plus
a few additional ones to control URI-escaping and indenting, but none to
control the representation of characters.

There is no control over numeric character references in XML when parsing.
They are converted to the equivalent Unicode character and that's it.  In
the serialization phase, there is also no control over how characters are
serialized, except that they will be serialized appropriately for the
encoding.

If you're having trouble in text mode, but not HTML, I suspect it's because
you are depending on the default output encoding for text.  The XSLT
recommendation says it's "system-dependent," so Xalan-C uses UTF-8.  You
might want to try specifying something like ASCII for the output encoding
to see if that helps.

Dave

                      "Edward L. Knoll"
                      <edward.knoll@fedex.         To:      xalan-c-users@xml.apache.org
                      com>                         cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                      Sent by:                     Subject: Description of <xsl:output ...> attributes.
                      f49660c@emmsvr02.pro
                      d.fedex.com

                      02/19/2003 12:40 PM
                      Please respond to