Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/05 13:46:12 UTC

Re: Update centers based on mirrors are a nightmare to support in an enterprise environment

Any opinion here?

For us, mirrors are just giving us headaches for plugins and updates...

Posted by Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com>.
Well, correct me if I am wrong, but the update center index itself is not
hosted on the mirrors. You get redirected from the links provided in the
index. And that is the issue for us.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 05.02.2020, 20:00 +0000 schrieb Neil C Smith:
> On Wed, 5 Feb 2020, 14:21 Peter Kovacs, <Pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > The ASF publishes the releases at:
> >
> > https://apache.org/dist/netbeans/
> >
> > Maybe that is less of an issue?
> >

> That's an option, keeping in mind the limits here if there's a lot of
> corporate use though  - https://www.apache.org/dev/infra-ban.html

I don't like hitting the core infrastructure harder because some
network equipment vendor (or its administrators) screwed up (no there
is no reason to configure a proxy as described).

But I have an idea to work around this ugly problem:

Instead of serving a static update center catalog from the netbeans-vm
we could generate the update catalog based on a template. The idea is
this.

A call like this:

curl --output - https://netbeans-vm.apache.org/uc/11.1/updates.xml.gz | gzip -d

would still yield:

<!-- ... --->
<module codenamebase="org.netbeans.modules.xml.tools"
        distribution="ide/org-netbeans-modules-xml-tools.nbm"
        downloadsize="41364"
        homepage="http://www.netbeans.org/"
        license="4AC3D4C1" moduleauthor=""
        needsrestart="false"
        releasedate="2019/07/16" targetcluster="ide">
    <manifest AutoUpdate-Show-In-Client="false"
              OpenIDE-Module="org.netbeans.modules.xml.tools/2"
              OpenIDE-Module-Display-Category="XML"
              OpenIDE-Module-Implementation-Version="netbeans-release-428-on-20190716"
              OpenIDE-Module-Java-Dependencies="Java &gt; 1.7"
              OpenIDE-Module-Long-Description="The module contains various actions and tools. Especially action to generate simple DTD from XML document."
              OpenIDE-Module-Module-Dependencies="org.netbeans.api.xml/1 &gt; 1.41, org.netbeans.api.xml.ui/1 &gt; 1.41, org.netbeans.modules.xml &gt; 1.2, org.netbeans.modules.xml.core/2 &gt; 1.14, org.netbeans.modules.xml.tax/2 &gt; 1.16, org.openide.awt &gt; 6.2, org.openide.dialogs &gt; 6.2, org.openide.filesystems &gt; 9.0, org.openide.loaders &gt; 7.61, org.openide.nodes &gt; 6.2, org.openide.text &gt; 6.16, org.openide.util.ui &gt; 9.3, org.openide.util &gt; 9.3, org.openide.util.lookup &gt; 8.0"
              OpenIDE-Module-Name="XML Productivity Tools"
              OpenIDE-Module-Requires="org.openide.modules.ModuleFormat1"
              OpenIDE-Module-Short-Description="The module contains various actions and tools."
              OpenIDE-Module-Specification-Version="1.48"/>
</module>
<!-- ... --->

But a call like this:

curl --output - https://netbeans-vm.apache.org/uc/11.1/updates.xml.gz?nbmBase=http%3A%2F%2Fmirror.23media.de%2Fapache%2F | gzip -d

would yield

<!-- ... --->
<module codenamebase="org.netbeans.modules.xml.tools"
        distribution="http://mirror.23media.de/apache/netbeans/netbeans/11.1/nbms/ide/org-netbeans-modules-xml-tools.nbm"
[...]

So affected users could modify their plugin centers to use a fixed
mirror and could get that whitelisted.

That would need some documentation on the download page, but that way
normal users are not affected, core apache infrastructure is not
affected and enterprise users still can work.

How does this sound?

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Update centers based on mirrors are a nightmare to support in an enterprise environment

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com>.
I like Matthias idea. At least with companies with very restrictive
whitelisting policies, you could force the use of a whitelisted mirror.
Sounds good.

Is there a need to write a plugin for that, or change something on the
infra or is it an improvement request for NB?

Cheers,

JMB

Posted by Andreas Sewe <se...@cqse.eu>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.