Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Giorgio <gi...@quantiss.com> on 2020/03/30 16:25:12 UTC

Guacamole drive name/Path drive setting

Hello,

Starting version 0.9.14 the guacamole RDP setting for drive path name is always showing as:  "name" on Guacamole RDP
The name given as drive path is not showing anymore , the drive name is showing.

To be more specific:
In the RDP connection configuration there are 2 variables for Drive
Drive name : this is showing fine when connection is established the drive will be mapped with that name + on Guacamole RDP
Drive path : this is showing as Guacamole RDP. Should this removed, clients will have access to the Linux drive (dangerous)

I am currently running version 1.1.0 Apache Guacamole and wish that guacamole RDP drive reflects the name given on the connection configuration .
Should that not possible, I would like to change the name to something like "Virtual Drive"

On the forums they refer to changing some files and rebuild the guacamole..
They are all referring to .jar however in 1.1.0 the files have .war extensions.

Could someone share his successful experience setting these two parameters ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Guacamole drive name/Path drive setting

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 12:52 PM Giorgio <gi...@quantiss.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Starting version 0.9.14 the guacamole RDP setting for drive path name is
> always showing as:  "name" on Guacamole RDP
> The name given as drive path is not showing anymore , the drive name is
> showing.
>
> To be more specific:
> In the RDP connection configuration there are 2 variables for Drive
> Drive name : this is showing fine when connection is established the drive
> will be mapped with that name + on Guacamole RDP
> Drive path : this is showing as Guacamole RDP. Should this removed,
> clients will have access to the Linux drive (dangerous)
>
> No, you should just be very careful what level of access you give to your
users based on the path you specify, and what account is running guacd.
It's only dangerous if you give them access to paths that allow them to get
to sensitive files (e.g. do NOT run guacd as root and set this to /etc).
Removing this altogether would remove the ability to actually have a shared
drive mapped to the server - if that's what you want, just don't enable it.

> I am currently running version 1.1.0 Apache Guacamole and wish that
> guacamole RDP drive reflects the name given on the connection configuration
> .
> Should that not possible, I would like to change the name to something
> like "Virtual Drive"

I'm a little confused as to what you're asking?  In version 1.1.0 it is
possible to change the drive name and the client name.  If you don't set
any of these parameters, the default filesystem name will be "Guacamole
Filesystem" and the default client name will be "Guacamole RDP", thus the
default drive mapping will be "Guacamole Filesystem on Guacamole RDP."  You
can change both the drive name (drive-name parameter) and the client name
(client-name parameter) to whatever you like, so that this will show up as
sometihng like "Hello World on SuperServer".  You can even substitute using
the ${GUAC_USERNAME} token such that it would show up as "<Username> on
Server", etc.  There are endless possibilities - okay, maybe not endless,
but at least a wide variety of options.

-Nick

Re: Guacamole drive name/Path drive setting

Posted by sciUser <sh...@securitycentric.net>.
I recalling asking this very question when 9.14 was out and the reply I got
was this maybe included in 1.x.
Unsure if they included it since we are still 9.14 (stable) and can't
upgrade to 1.x until its been 1 year 6 months from release, just because of
the nature of how we control it.

I would like to know if they made this change easy or do you have to
recompile.

Thank You

-----
A Cybersecurity Enablement Company
We don't just run you through the motions, Our labs teach you how to think!
Known good Guacamole  installations