Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by solrnovice <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2011/09/05 16:39:57 UTC

Upgrade solr

hi , We are trying to use LucidImagination ( lucidimagination.com) for our
search, it comes with a version of SOLR. When i use geodist(), or pseudo
columns, they dont seem to be working.

Now my question is, can i upgrade just the solr under lucid imagination
install? Has anybody tried that, if so can you please share some
information. I downloaded SOLR 4 from the nightly build, but the
lucidimagination, schema.xml, doesnt work in that solr, as its closely tied
to Lucid. I had it working after i removed references to Lucid's
classes...etc. But I lose some of Lucid's datatypes like "comma-seperated"
analyzers...etc.  If anybody tried upgrading the Solr to the latest version,
please share your thoughts.

thanks
sN

RE: Upgrade solr

Posted by solrnovice <ma...@yahoo.com>.
thanks Uwe, i will check with Lucid Imagination support staff.

thanks
SN

RE: Upgrade solr

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: stable that version is ) . I want to make the geodist work, but with a
: stable release. Looks like the geodist doesnt work in prior release of solr.

To be clear: geodist has been arround in Solr since 3.1, the question is
about getting the result of the geodist function as a pseduo-field in the
response, which is something new in the 4x trunk code base.

As noted on the wiki, a work arround for 3x versions of Solr is to use the
"function" as the only scoring portion of the query, and put other query
clauses in "fq" params so they don't change the score (so the "score" of
each document is the "distance")

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpatialSearch#Returning_the_distance

-Hoss

RE: Upgrade solr

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi SN,

The latest stable Solr release is Solr 3.3, with 3.4 coming this month. Solr
4.0 and Lucene 4.0 are both not yet stable, as we are still changing APIs
and optimizing things like the index format, algorithms. You can use Solr
4.0 snapshot, if you really need the new features and report back what you
find out. But you need to know, that we might change index formats from one
day to the other, so after an upgrade to a later trunk version, your indexes
may no longer be readable and throw scary Exceptions when reading indexes.
Upgrading 3.x index formats to 4.0 unstable is always possible, just not
4.0-old to 4.0-new, so be prepared to reindex your stuff after upgrade.
Otherwise, Lucene/Solr 4.0 seems quite stable if you don't upgrade.

The Solr version Lucid Imagination ships with LucidWorks, also uses the
"unstable" 4.0 version internally, but they guarantee, that you can upgrade
between different LucidWorks versions (they provide an index upgrade tool).

About the Geo features: I am not familiar with the current status of Solr's
Geo support. Maybe somebody else can answer, if the mentioned query type
works with the stable version 3.x.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

RE: Upgrade solr

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

Please ask this question to Lucid Imagination support staff. The Lucene/Solr
community is not responsible for releases of LucidWorks Enterprise and we
don't know which versions of Lucene/Solr they use.

Uwe

-----