Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2020/02/05 17:54:51 UTC

Problems with commons-beanutils-1.9.4

All,

This may be an uncommon configuration, but I just upgraded from
velocity-tools-2.0 with commons-beanutils-1.9.3 to
commons-beanutils-1.9.4 and all my stuff broke.

I spent a few hours tracking it down and I happened to have my toolbox
configured like this:

<tools>
  <toolbox scope="application">
    <tool class="org.apache.velocity.tools.generic.AlternatorTool" />
    [...]
  </toolbox>
</tools>

I was getting a message on webapp start that looked like this:

FactoryConfiguration from 4 sources  with 2 toolboxes:
 Toolbox 'application' with 1 properties [scope -auto-> application; ]
and 12 tools:
  Tool 'null' => null

and some other weird things like:

  Tool 'dateFormat' => null with 1 properties [key -auto-> dateFormat; ]

The problem is that I was using the "class" attribute in my XML config
instead of "classname".

velocity-tools uses commons-digester, which uses commons-beanutils to:

1. Create an instance of ToolConfiguration for each <tool>
2. Set the properties on ToolConfiguration for each <tool>

Then velocity-tools tries to instantiate the class you specify, put it
into the toolbox, etc. The problem is with step #2 above.

ToolConfiguration has two relevant setters, here:

   public void setClass(Class);
   public void setClassname(String);

Before commons-beanutils-1.9.4, setting the "class" attribute in the
XML would:

1. Find the "class" property on ToolConfiguration
2. Use Class.forName() to get an instance of java.lang.Class
representing whatever class you wanted to use
3. Call ToolConfiguration.setClass(Class) with that instance of
java.lang.Class.

With commons-beanutils-1.9.4, that process fails at one point or
another because commons-beanutils is no longer willing to instantiate
objects of type java.lang.Class (or no longer willing to assign
properties of java.lang.Class, it doesn't really matter).

But because ToolConfiguration is designed to accept class names and do
it's own object instantiation, you can side-step the "problem"
introduced by commons-beanutils-1.9.4 by simply using the other
attribute: classname

When you use "classname", commons-beanutils will:

1. Find the "classname" property on ToolConfiguration
2. Call ToolConfiguration.setClassname(String) with the String value
obtained from the XML attribute

... and you are good to go.

I hope nobody else gets bitten by this, but in case you do, there is a
simple solution.

- -chris

Re: Problems with commons-beanutils-1.9.4

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
I should have noticed i was responding on the user thread. Sorry. Taking
this just to dev, since users probably won't need to hear my response.

If you're willing to commit the change for 3.0, even though you don't use
it, that'd be great. I think you are right that just yanking the code and
documenting it in the changelog makes sense.  And yeah, this alone is
probably not worth a 2.0.1 release, so i guess leave it be.

Thanks, Chris!

Re: [OT] Problems with commons-beanutils-1.9.4

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
I'm still maintaining a project using a Velocity 1.8-snapshot and struts.
If I recall, I think the lack of a path forward for struts was why I did
not upgrade to 2.x.
But I'm also stuck with an ancient version of struts, so my situation may
be unique.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 9:47 AM Christopher Schultz <

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Problems with commons-beanutils-1.9.4

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
Or maybe even just put a 3.x compatible version of the Struts tools up on
github as an independent fork. Probably easier than talking the Struts devs
into it.

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net.INVALID>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net.INVALID>.
On 20-02-07 17 h 44, Nathan Bubna wrote:
> As for setClass(Class cls), couldn't we just change it to:
>
> public void setClass(String classname) {
>      setClassname(classname);
> }
>
> Seems like that would keep the class="org.com.Foo" config syntax working
> and avoid the security issue, right?

Nah, because what happens is that the "class" property is filtered
beforehand by beanutils introspector.

What I did is provide the xml digester with a alias, mapping "class"
towards "classname".

I'm gonna push your suggestion also, though, as it might help for other
configuration methods when running under a security manager.

Re: Problems with commons-beanutils-1.9.4

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, moving to jetty-maven-plugin would be good. I use that heavily at
work.

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net.INVALID>.
Hi.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.