Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by wi <ic...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/11 21:34:35 UTC

[users@httpd] Dynamically Updating Rewrite rules etc.

Hi all

Our architecture has a cluster of Apache servers behind an industrial
strength load balancer. The Apache servers basically examine each
request (REST requests, actually) and dispatch to back end
applications depending on this parsing.

At this stage, each back-end application has to be set up in the
Apache configuration manually. In other words, we add rewrite rules
and proxy accordingly. Although the server configuration is propagated
out easily enough, it still requires a restart of each Apache server.

It would be nice if there was a way to dynamically update this routing
information without having to resort to updating configuration for
each server (even though they're all the same). What would be even
nicer is if each back-end application could publish/broadcast it's
existence and for the Apache servers to pick this up. Without getting
into complicated LDAP stuff, has anyone seen this type of setup and
solution before?

--
Cheers
Wayne

Re: [users@httpd] Dynamically Updating Rewrite rules etc.

Posted by wi <ic...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the suggestion - this looks promising.

cheers
Wayne

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM, wi <ic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be nice if there was a way to dynamically update this routing
> information without having to resort to updating configuration for
> each server (even though they're all the same). What would be even
> nicer is if each back-end application could publish/broadcast it's
> existence and for the Apache servers to pick this up. Without getting
> into complicated LDAP stuff, has anyone seen this type of setup and
> solution before?

One solution would be to use rewrite maps. Apache keeps these maps in
memory, but reloads them whenever they change on disk. You could make
the backend produce this rewrite map and push a new one on your apache
server whenever this changes.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com