Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Sh...@lotus.com on 2001/09/05 14:00:09 UTC

Fwd: Xalan Profiler Interface

These kinds of questions are best answered on the xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
mailing list, which is also archived at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xalan-dev&r=2&w=2

That said, have you looked at both the org.apache.xalan.trace package as
well as the separate org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerClient class
and related TransformState classes?

- Shane

---- you christian.heilmann@ecube.de wrote ----
Hello Shane Curcuru,

my Name is Chris Heilmann. I'm a developer located in Munich, Germany.
I'm currently working on a project for xsl profiling.
I develop a tool which help you to profile your xsl stylesheets and I
also research which facts are influence the general performance of xsl
transformations.
One thing you can optimize, to have later a good speed in you XML
application, is to write a fast stylesheet.
A profiling tool should support you to find the speed bottle necks in
your xsl stylesheet.
But this is not all. It is also very very important which xslt processor
you will use for your application.
For adding debuggers or profiling tools to a processor you need the right
Interfaces.
With the current existing tracing Interface of xalan I donĀ“t know how to
stop the time of execution for only one xsl command in a stylesheet. I
need a event fired before the transformer enter a xsl stylesheet element,
and then a second event after the transformer leave the stylesheet
element. You have implemented this in the current version only for the
output, but not for the xsl input. For the xsl input method i only get a
enter event for a stylesheet element.
Or have I overseen a suitable Method?
Sure I could also add the Interface to the current xalan distribution,
but the when
the next xalan version comes, I must add again the Interface to you Xalan
distribution.

Have you interest such in adding a tracing interface to your Xalan
distribution so that, the transformer fires a event when he enter a
stylesheet note, and then fire again a event when he have ended the
execution of the stylesheet element.
Or is there such a tracing interface in you distribution which i have not
seen?
Please look at the saxon tracing package. Saxon has a good tracing
interface. You only need to call Listeners if you enter a node in the
stylesheet, and when you leave a noode in the stylesheet.

Are you interested to work together to designing a standardized trace
Interface which all processors in the future should use like trax?

Please let me know your opinion about this thematic.

Thanks
Chris Heilmann
eCube GmbH
Munich, Germany