Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> on 2007/01/19 02:03:25 UTC

subversion space for BSC branches/tags

All,

I just wanted to give a heads up that I am currently thinking that
blogs.sun.com could use its own place in Roller subversion for
branching/tagging our own releases.  The basic situation is that we
develop and deploy at a faster rate than the project releases happen and
often times we deploy from builds of the active trunk.  Up until now we
have tried to manage any branching/tagging for releases on our own side,
but it would make things a lot easier to branch/tag directly in the
Roller repository.

So, would anyone object to me creating a separate area in Roller svn for
maintaining up to a handful of BSC branches/tags?  I don't have any real
preference for where this would live, but I was thinking of doing it by
creating a root level directory for "bsc" and then adding a "tags" and
"branches" dir under that.  So it would be ...

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/roller/bsc/branches
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/roller/bsc/tags

We would continue to work out of the Roller trunk as usual, the main
reason for these is to have a space to branch/tag when we are nearing
one of our own releases and want to copy the trunk to a branch to
prevent further changes.

-- Allen

Re: using svnsync on Roller repository

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 1/29/07, Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > On 1/18/07, Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> wrote:
> >
> > I don't think you really need it either. How about using svnsync to
> > have a locally updated copy of Roller's trunk, and then tagging it
> > locally (or branching and adding whatever local patches might be
> > needed). It should be much the same as maintaining the branches within
> > Roller's repository.
> >
> > I'm new to svnsync - but I think that would work.
>
> Henri,
>
> have you had any additional time to play with svnsync?  i have spent a
> few minutes trying to get it setup but as far as i can see you can only
> use it to mirror an entire repository, not just a specific module.  i
> may be wrong about this because there isn't a whole lot of svnsync
> documentation out there, but i haven't seen anything that suggests you
> can sync just a single module and when i try svnsync suggests i can't do
> it ...
>
> [~/tmp/svncopy ] svnsync init
> file:///export/home/agilliland/tmp/svncopy/roller_copy $ROLLERSVN
> svnsync: Session is rooted at
> 'https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/roller/trunk' but the repos
> root is 'https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf'
>
> i would be fine working off a copy of the Roller trunk, but i don't
> really want a copy of the entire ASF repository.

:( Sounds probable; I was doing a repository (migration to Google).

I thought this issue had gone away because the new dev work had moved
onto a branch?

Hen

Re: using svnsync on Roller repository

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
I'm guessing that svn:externals is not good enough?  It would allow
you to suck in Roller's source, but not really modify it.

Matt

--
http://raibledesigns.com

using svnsync on Roller repository

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Re: subversion space for BSC branches/tags

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 1/19/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the normal options would either be:
>
> 1) The new work is a research feature - therefore Dave/Mitesh work on
> a branch and it gets merged into the trunk when it's ready.

I was just getting ready to send out a heads-up on that. We're
planning on creating a dev branch to work in next week as we stabilize
the JPA implementation.

- Dave

Re: subversion space for BSC branches/tags

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 1/18/07, Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> wrote:
>>

>> Henri Yandell wrote:

>> happen and
>> now we
>> side,

>> svn for
>> >
>> > -1.
>> >
>> > I understand the desire - I'm maintaining patches for open source
>> > projects locally for some projects and it can get painful. But this
>> > would be a very bad precedent, only the PMC make releases. Also it'd
>> > definitely be bad for it to be a branch rather than a tag, effectively
>> > a private fork within the project. This came up previously, though I
>> > don't remember what the project was and the opinion was definitely
>> > negative.
>>
>> I probably didn't explain what I needed properly, but I think you make
>> it sound worse than it is.  The only thing this would be used for is to
>> be able to branch certain revisions of the trunk for short periods of
>> time.  There is no forking or developing planned to happen in these
>> copies, they are merely meant to be there as a way to mitigate the
>> potential problem that can be caused when we plan to make use of a
>> certain revision of the trunk for a deployment while other folks may be
>> continuing to commit things.
>
> What's the problem with that?
>
> You decide to use r128191, a commit is made and trunk moves on, but
> your revision is still the same. It's the same as making a tag for it
> and avoids what seems to be like an abnormal use of an apache
> repository.

The main problem is that I would also want to be able to merge in some
specific revisions rather than just being a tag.  i.e. make a branch at
a given revision, then someone else commits something that is not
totally stable, then I commit a small bug fix which I want included in
the branch.

Doing something like that via svnsync or some other method becomes more
complicated and IMO is exactly what the repository is for.

> (snip...)
>
>> So for example, I have a need to deploy basically what is currently in
>> the trunk.  However, Dave and Mitesh are working on some things which
>> are hacking away at the backend and I don't want to have that work
>> disrupt my deployment.  So, what you normally do is create a branch and
>> then I can merge in whatever changes I want until the trunk stabilizes
>> again.
>
> I think the normal options would either be:
>
> 1) The new work is a research feature - therefore Dave/Mitesh work on
> a branch and it gets merged into the trunk when it's ready.
>
> or
>
> 2) The new work is a part of the new release and the stable version is
> maintained on a branch.

right.  and i am suggesting this case is #2, where i want to stabilize
things in a branch so that others can keep working out of the trunk
unhindered.

i will look into svnsync more closely, but part of me still thinks it's
a shame to force people to copy the repository rather than use the
repository directly.

-- Allen

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 1/18/07, Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I just wanted to give a heads up that I am currently thinking that
>> blogs.sun.com could use its own place in Roller subversion for
>> branching/tagging our own releases.  The basic situation is that we
>> develop and deploy at a faster rate than the project releases happen and
>> often times we deploy from builds of the active trunk.  Up until now we
>> have tried to manage any branching/tagging for releases on our own side,
>> but it would make things a lot easier to branch/tag directly in the
>> Roller repository.
>>
>> So, would anyone object to me creating a separate area in Roller svn for
>> maintaining up to a handful of BSC branches/tags?
>
> -1.
>
> I understand the desire - I'm maintaining patches for open source
> projects locally for some projects and it can get painful. But this
> would be a very bad precedent, only the PMC make releases. Also it'd
> definitely be bad for it to be a branch rather than a tag, effectively
> a private fork within the project. This came up previously, though I
> don't remember what the project was and the opinion was definitely
> negative.

I probably didn't explain what I needed properly, but I think you make
it sound worse than it is.  The only thing this would be used for is to
be able to branch certain revisions of the trunk for short periods of
time.  There is no forking or developing planned to happen in these
copies, they are merely meant to be there as a way to mitigate the
potential problem that can be caused when we plan to make use of a
certain revision of the trunk for a deployment while other folks may be
continuing to commit things.

> I don't think you really need it either. How about using svnsync to
> have a locally updated copy of Roller's trunk, and then tagging it
> locally (or branching and adding whatever local patches might be
> needed). It should be much the same as maintaining the branches within
> Roller's repository.

Yes, but it seems to me that the point of having a repository is for
doing things like this.

> I'm new to svnsync - but I think that would work.

Lots of things will work, but why not use the repository for what it's
meant for?  I am not proposing that I am going to keep dozens of custom
releases around or maintain a fork of Roller in its own repository.  I
only need the ability to maintain some level of stability to the trunk
at certain times.

So for example, I have a need to deploy basically what is currently in
the trunk.  However, Dave and Mitesh are working on some things which
are hacking away at the backend and I don't want to have that work
disrupt my deployment.  So, what you normally do is create a branch and
then I can merge in whatever changes I want until the trunk stabilizes
again.

Is there really something wrong with that?

-- Allen

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.