Posted to dev@juneau.apache.org by James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com> on 2017/06/01 13:29:36 UTC

Re: What is left before graduation?

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 7:28 AM, David Goddard <go...@acm.org> wrote:

> The guide to contributing for non-commiters (https://cwiki.apache.org/conf
> luence/display/JUNEAU/Contributing+for+Non-committers) instructs the user
> to create their own fork of the *mirrored* repo (
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-juneau), apply any changes to their
> fork, and then create a pull request.

Good question.  I don't know the answer on that.  It sounds like we should
be instructing non-committers to use the 'real' git repo.

--
James Bognar

Re: What is left before graduation?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
I'll point out that I started this thread in private, but now its moved
over to public.  Not a big deal, but ideally we shouldn't mix
public/private chat.  Nothing's wrong with the discussion and its not super
private, just didn't want to get expectations up before we're ready.

Some of the questions to throw out there - who do we consider on the
initial PMC? Is there anyone to exclude?  Do we want to wait until we've
been able to sign up a new committer?

These are questions.  I'm not saying the answer must be yes or must be no.
Just some things to consider.  I think we know the answer as a group, but
want to make sure we're talking about ad nauseum.

John

Posted by James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com>.

--
James Bognar

A tale of two repositories

Posted by David Goddard <go...@acm.org>.
Reading back through the  Sample Codes on Documents thread, and looking
at the pull request emails originating from the bot
(git@git.apache.org), it looks like there is some process that may take
a completed pull request in the Github mirror and then apply it to the
primary repository. Maybe.  The mechanics of the relationship between
the Github and main repositories are a little unclear to me, other than
that there is obviously a link held both between the two repositories
and the user IDs of committers on the two systems, and it seems to 'just
work'.

Either way, using a pull request on the Github mirror seems to provide a
useful medium for discussing a proposed code change regardless of
whether it is coming from a committer or not. However, this would mean
syncing your dev environment against potentially two different
repository servers, depending on whether you wish to make use of the
Github functionality or not for a given code change.  There are also two
different ways of working depending on which you are using: on Github
you can work with a fork, while on the primary server you'd have to use
branches (which may or may not be pushed back to the origin).

The Contributing for Non-committers document makes sense in the context
in which it is intended, but I feel there is some missing information on
the underlying process and best practice workflows (unless of course I
am failing to understand something that is so obvious it's been left
unstated, which would not be the first time...)

David (very much a Git novice)