Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "McDermott, Alastair" <Al...@softwareag.com> on 2000/07/05 14:58:33 UTC

Cross-compiling Apache 2.0

Hi all,

I would like to cross-compile for a POSIX/EBCDIC environment -I'm developing
in NT/Cygwin, the target environment is a POSIX runtime (on S390).

Since the Apache 2.0 distribution does not contain the GuessOS and
GuessCodeset helper scripts, is there another mechanism for configuring the
build options? (Any pointers on setting up an Apache 2.0 build in a
cross-compile environment would be appreciated.)

Regards,
Alastair.

--

Alastair McDermott
Software AG Ireland R&D Ltd.

Re: Cross-compiling Apache 2.0

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
"McDermott, Alastair" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to cross-compile for a POSIX/EBCDIC environment -I'm developing
> in NT/Cygwin, the target environment is a POSIX runtime (on S390).
>
> Since the Apache 2.0 distribution does not contain the GuessOS and
> GuessCodeset helper scripts, is there another mechanism for configuring the
> build options? (Any pointers on setting up an Apache 2.0 build in a
> cross-compile environment would be appreciated.)

Alastair,

I can't help you much with cross-compiling, but I do have experience with building Apache
2.0 on OS/390 natively.  I assume that's your target since you mentioned ebcdic. In 2.0,
Apache uses autoconf which is radically different than the 1.3 build environment.
Autoconf tests for many OS features dynamically, which will make it challenging to support
cross-compiling.

To get started, cd to apache-2.0/src, then do ./buildconf.  Next step is ./configure which
invokes all the feature test magic.  configure does have --build, --host, and --target
parameters which might help for cross-compiling.

Instead of GuessOS, the autoconf environment uses config.guess and config.sub.  There are
two pairs of these that matter. One is in src/lib/apr/shmem/unix/mm.  To find the other
one, cd to whereever your libtool executable lives, then look in ../share/ .  We use
Mortice Kern's version of autoconf ( http://www.mks.com/s390/gnu/ ) which includes
config.guess and config.sub.  Instead of GuessCodeset, we have an autoconf macro
APACHE_EBCDIC which lives in src/aclocal.m4 and src/acinclude.m4, and is invoked from
src/configure.in.

Good luck,
Greg Ames