Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sternath Elmar <el...@siemens.com> on 2003/02/14 11:39:56 UTC

strange behaviour of ResourceReader

Hello,

I use cocoon 2.0.4 on tomcat 4.1.12 and recognize an extremely strange behaviour of ResourceReader:
The problem occurs only in IE (5.5), not at all in Netscape (7).
The problem occurs only with pdf files.
The browser behaviours differ in that way that IE tries to open AcrobatReader inside, where Netscape opens an extra window.

I try to get a pdf using ResourceReader by HTTP POST in .xsl:
<map:when test="application/pdf">
	<map:read mime-type="application/pdf" src="http://{../1}:{1}@localhost:8889/BOLServlet/DocumentService.downloadDocumentById/Pruefungsbericht.pdf"/>
</map:when>
Now I get an exception in access.log:
org.apache.cocoon.ConnectionResetException: Connection reset by peer: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingStreamPipeline.processReader(CachingStreamPipeline.java:260)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractStreamPipeline.process(AbstractStreamPipeline.java:168)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingStreamPipeline.process(CachingStreamPipeline.java:289)
	at org.apache.cocoon.www.file_.Z_.scw.sitemap_xmap.matchN104E4(C:\Programme\Apache-Tomcat-4.1.12\work\Standalone\localhost\cocoon\cocoon-files\org/apache/cocoon/www/file_/Z_/scw\sitemap_xmap.java:3986)
	at org.apache.cocoon.www.file_.Z_.scw.sitemap_xmap.process(C:\Programme\Apache-Tomcat-4.1.12\work\Standalone\localhost\cocoon\cocoon-files\org/apache/cocoon/www/file_/Z_/scw\sitemap_xmap.java:1154)
	at org.apache.cocoon.www.file_.Z_.scw.sitemap_xmap.process(C:\Programme\Apache-Tomcat-4.1.12\work\Standalone\localhost\cocoon\cocoon-files\org/apache/cocoon/www/file_/Z_/scw\sitemap_xmap.java:974)
Next, I try to get the same pdf using an HTTP GET in .xsl.
Now, the file is displayed correctly inside IE and no exception occured any more in access.log.
I traced the HTTP connection to the target PDF and recognized that the file was transferred twice using HTTP GET, but only once using HTTP POST. Beside that, all three responses are absolutely identical.
And now, the surprise becomes perfect: If I use again HTTP POST, it works also!! From now on, both  with HTTP POST and GET calls in .xsl the file is transferred only once.
When I delete tomcat's work dir and restart tomcat, the same story rehappens.
Any ideas?? (Should be a challenge for Carsten!)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/ Best regards
Elmar Sternath

Siemens AG
Information and Communication Networks
ICN IT CA EB 2 - Web Applications
Mch H/Me19 - 99801-231a

Meglinger Straße 19 (99801-231a) D-84577 München
Tel.:   +49(89)722-24045
Mobil: +49(0)160-5860351
Fax.:  +49(89)722-53384
EMail: Elmar.Sternath@siemens.com