Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by tplizga <te...@lmco.com> on 2009/09/23 00:16:41 UTC

Detecting ServiceMix via SNMP

Is there a way to detect a running instance of ServiceMix using SNMP?  I'm
working on a task to write system-state monitoring code to detect the health
of various components of my project's web service application, which is
deployed as a series of JBI services running within ServiceMix.  At this
point, I would like to detect whether ServiceMix is up or down.

Does ServiceMix provide a published Management Information Base (MIB)
exposing a set of OIDs that can be queried through an snmp poll?

Please keep in mind that using FuseHQ (Hyperic HQ) is NOT an option for me.
My customer has selected Nagios as our SNMP monitoring application.  My
current approach is to try to use the OpenDMK library to write an SNMP agent
(basically using the SnmpAdapterServer to do the heavy lifting).

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Detecting ServiceMix via SNMP

Posted by Lars Heinemann <lh...@apache.org>.
Hi

there is nothing like this. But I read somewhere about a SNMP2JMX Bridge and
ServiceMix provides useful information via JMX....so that would be a good start.
Another way is to use something like Fuse HQ.

Regards
Lars

http://lhein.blogspot.com

Re: Detecting ServiceMix via SNMP

Posted by hans couder <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi satheeshsamiappan,

In order to configure jmx with nagios I did the following:

After I got my Nagios running, I went to Configuration menu -> View Config
Choose as Object Type commands and click continue, which will give you
not only all available commands but also the command line.
In the command line you'll find also the path in which the plugins
reside: in my case it was /usr/lib/nagios/plugins

I moved check_jmx and check_jmx.jar into this directory.

In my case I made a directory commands into my nagios home dir and
copied jmx.cfg into it.
In my nagios.cfg file, added cfg_dir=/etc/nagios3/commands (If you
build from source your nagios.cfg could be in for ex.
/usr/local/nagios/etc/)

I checked again in my Nagios, the Configuration menu -> View Config -> commands,
Normally you would find something like check_jmx_HeapMemoryUsage_Used,
check_jmx_PS_Perm_Gen_Used, check_jmx_SystemLoadAverage,
check_jmx_ThreadCount
Which are already defined in the copied jmx.cfg.

Now the only thing to do is use the jmx command:

I have a test Apache Servicemix running which i want to monitor:

In my case I wanted a Thread Count on my localhost, so in my
localhost.cfg I defined:

define service{
       use                              generic-service
       host_name                        localhost
       service_description              JMX ThreadCount
               check_command
check_jmx_ThreadCount!localhost!1099!smx!smx!4000!4000
       }

Et voila,

Regards,

Hans Couder