Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Harald Ommang <ha...@ommang.com> on 2003/05/11 23:29:59 UTC

CheckStyle configuration and Jetspeed Coding Spec

Hi!

The CheckStyle configuration supplied with Jetspeed does not seem to match the
goals as listed on http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/code-standards.html
Also, the build.xml onsly seems to run CS on a subset of the source, or am I
reading it completely wrong?

I noticed this when I saw the Lucene search classes being updated after
CheckStyle, and call like this

result = func( a , b );

being changed to

result = func(a , b);

The former is required by the codig spec, and is my favorite, but the latter is
CheckStyle default.

Is there a CheckStyle guru out there who could make sure that the spec and the
CS config match?

I would also like to see the requirement of using only fully classified imports
added to the spec...

Regards,
Harald

Re: CheckStyle configuration and Jetspeed Coding Spec

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Sunday, May 11, 2003, at 06:56  PM, Mark Orciuch wrote:

> Harald,
>>
>> The CheckStyle configuration supplied with Jetspeed does not seem
>> to match the
>> goals as listed on
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/code-standards.html
>> Also, the build.xml onsly seems to run CS on a subset of the
>> source, or am I
>> reading it completely wrong?
>>

> I think the way this is supposed to work is that when you work on
> source
> module and it passes the style checks, you add it to the ideal
> requirement
> list. We should always style check any code we check in.
>
>> I noticed this when I saw the Lucene search classes being updated
>> after
>> CheckStyle, and call like this
>>
>> result = func( a , b );
>>
>> being changed to
>>
>> result = func(a , b);
>>
>> The former is required by the codig spec, and is my favorite, but
>> the latter is
>> CheckStyle default.
>
> CS config takes precedence.

I normally use

func(a, b) over func( a, b )

Guess I need to pay closer attention to the spec!

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

RE: CheckStyle configuration and Jetspeed Coding Spec

Posted by Mark Orciuch <ma...@ngsltd.com>.
Harald,

> The CheckStyle configuration supplied with Jetspeed does not seem
> to match the
> goals as listed on
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/code-standards.html
> Also, the build.xml onsly seems to run CS on a subset of the
> source, or am I
> reading it completely wrong?

I think the way this is supposed to work is that when you work on source
module and it passes the style checks, you add it to the ideal requirement
list. We should always style check any code we check in.

> I noticed this when I saw the Lucene search classes being updated after
> CheckStyle, and call like this
>
> result = func( a , b );
>
> being changed to
>
> result = func(a , b);
>
> The former is required by the codig spec, and is my favorite, but
> the latter is
> CheckStyle default.

CS config takes precedence.

> Is there a CheckStyle guru out there who could make sure that the
> spec and the
> CS config match?
>
> I would also like to see the requirement of using only fully
> classified imports
> added to the spec...

Thanks for catching these discrepances. I will update the spec.

Best regards,

Mark Orciuch - morciuch@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/