Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/01 05:37:38 UTC

Maven and Selenium?

Is anyone using Selenium for functional testing of webapps?  After
hearing about it a while ago, I finally had a chance to see it in
action at a NFJS show last weekend.  Of course, the first order of
business was getting it to work with a Maven build.

Selenium is not in a Maven repository that I could find, so I
installed the zip in my local repository with mvn install:install-file
... -Dpackaging=zip.

I added a profile which uses dependency-maven-plugin to unzip the
Selenium distribution under 'target', and maven-antrun-plugin to copy
both the selenium 'core' directory and my src/test/selenium folder
containing the tests into the webapp.

The pom with the configuration (profile id=selenium) is here:
   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shale/framework/trunk/shale-apps/pom.xml

(That pom also has the Cargo plugin configuration which starts Tomcat
and deploys the app.)

More information on installation and how to run the tests for Shale
Mailreader can be found here:
   http://shale.apache.org/shale-apps/selenium.html

Suggestions and questions are welcome. :)  I didn't find anything in
the archives, but I can't possibly be the first one to do this...

--
Wendy

Re: Maven and Selenium?

Posted by Christophe DENEUX <ch...@capgemini.com>.
Right, the 2.x website is not deployed yet.

jWebUnit is a young and promissing project.

Christophe DENEUX / Capgemini Sud / M�diterran�e
Technical Leader
Tel: + 33 4 93 72 43 74 / www.capgemini.com
Fax: + 33 4 93 21 02 95
Porte de l'Ar�nas - Entr�e B / 455 Promenade des Anglais / 06200 Nice

Join the Collaborative Business Experience

Wim Deblauwe a �crit :

Re: Maven and Selenium?

Posted by Christophe DENEUX <ch...@capgemini.com>.
The 2.x site has been published.

Re: Maven and Selenium?

Posted by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven and Selenium?

Posted by Mark Reynolds <ma...@gmail.com>.
Personally, I hit the wall wilth HTMLUnit and had to move to Selenium
RC. The problem was that HTMLUnit had problems as soon as I upgraded
from Tapestry 4 to Tapestry 4.1 due to the inclusion of Dojo
libraries. I assume these will be fixed eventually, but I am much
happier having my tests run in the actual browser (even on a headless
linux box!) and it really helps to see what is going when stepping
through in the debugger.

I get the selenium server from openqa's repository, copy it into my
maven build area with the dependency plugin, then start and stop it on
the pre-integration-test and post-integration-test phases using
antrun.

Re : Maven and Selenium?

Posted by Julien HENRY <he...@yahoo.fr>.
Hi,

It's true that jWebUnit API is not easier than Selenium-RC API (except some very usefull assertions). But one of it's main advantage is to be compatible with different testing engines. Once your tests are written with jWebUnit, they could be executed thanks to HtmlUnit on your integration server each night. And for example, before each delivery, you could run them with Selenium to check compatibility with your customer's web browser.

++

Julien

Envoyé le : Jeudi, 10 Août 2006, 9h35mn 23s
Objet : Re: Maven and Selenium?

Re: Maven and Selenium?

Posted by Ralph Pöllath <li...@poellath.org>.
Hi,

Re: Maven and Selenium?

Posted by Christophe DENEUX <ch...@capgemini.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Re: Maven and Selenium?

Posted by Daniel Serodio <da...@xxx.com.br>.

Re: Maven and Selenium?

Posted by Christophe DENEUX <ch...@capgemini.com>.
Hi ,

A snapshot repository is available at: http://maven.openqa.org/

Have you try jWebUnit (http://jwebunit.sourceforge.net/index.html)
instead of Selenium for your functional tests? With jWebUnit, you can
run your tests with different engines as htmlunit or Selenium (the
Selenium engine is available trough SVN). You will use the htmlunit
engine to execute your tests in a background mode (continuous
integration) and the selenium engine in a visual mode.

Christophe DENEUX / Capgemini Sud / M�diterran�e
Technical Leader
Tel: + 33 4 93 72 43 74 / www.capgemini.com
Fax: + 33 4 93 21 02 95
Porte de l'Ar�nas - Entr�e B / 455 Promenade des Anglais / 06200 Nice

Join the Collaborative Business Experience

Wendy Smoak a �crit :