Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Tomás Fernández Pena <tf...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/01 18:56:14 UTC

HCatalog in Hive 0.11

Hi

I've just downloaded the tarball of hive 0.11. I'm trying to run the
hcat_server.sh, put I got an error:

$ ./hcat_server.sh start
Started metastore server init, testing if initialized correctly...
Metastore startup failed, see
/home/ec2-user/hive-0.11.0-bin/hcatalog/sbin/../var/log/hcat.err

$ cat  /var/log/hcat.err
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input
string: ""
    at
java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:65)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HiveMetastoreCli.parse(HiveMetaStore.java:4184)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.main(HiveMetaStore.java:4195)
    at
    at

Any idea?

Regards.

Re: HCatalog in Hive 0.11

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The error you're getting seems to be from this piece of code in the metastore:

==
4182   String metastorePort = System.getenv("METASTORE_PORT");
4183   if (metastorePort != null) {
4184     port = Integer.parseInt(metastorePort);
4185   }
==

Basically, for whatever reason, in your environment, you have a
METASTORE_PORT that is specified, but not something that is being
recognized as a number. Could you please check your config to see what
the value of METASTORE_PORT winds up being?