Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org> on 2019/03/07 09:04:03 UTC

Pull request review rules

Hi,

When I am looking at the pull request, I found a pull request[1] got
approved by 2 of our reviewers(committers), but still not getting
merged.

I am thinking why it is like this. Should we set up community rules
for thing like this?
For example, if a pull request has got at least N approval from
committers, it can be merged, where N can be discussed. The more
approval it need, the longer process it will take.

For large size pull requests, the reviewer can request another one to
help on it.

I would suggest to keep it small, N=1.  Even the reviewer fails to
identify the issues, it can be fixed by sending another pull request.

How do you think?

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/pull/3536

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Pull request review rules

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I also suggest the reviewer to follow the standard reviewing
process[1], rather than just leave a comment.
To me, the advantage are as follows:
- review status will be displayed in pull request, one can easily
identify pull request that is in "request change" so that you won't
look into it again.
- all the review stats/activities will be collected by dubbo-bot and
summarized in the weekly report.

[1] https://help.github.com/en/articles/approving-a-pull-request-with-required-reviews

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
Agree, a deadline is a good suggestion. It requires all committers look
into pull request more actively.

-Ian.

Posted by yuhang xiu <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi, all

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 5:42 PM LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,Huxing
> Your suggestion is right, I mean we should pay attention to the previously
> submitted issue.
> Close? Merge?  or  Add comment .
> We should resolve the issue that was created for a long time as soon as
> possible.

+1 but this is beyond the scope of this thread, I think we can discuss
it in another thread.

Posted by LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi,Huxing

Posted by jun liu <ke...@gmail.com>.
For this particular PR, the reason I approved but not merged it is that I think the code change itself is ok but I don’t understand the connection with the issue the author claims to solve. I plan to merge it after fully understand, unfortunately, I just forgot to check the feedback.

Jun

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by 华 钟明 <cr...@gmail.com>.
I think it is reasonable to set up one reviewer.
Because reviewing a pr itself requires a reviewer, and the reviewer can also self-mark, indicating that he wants to keep an eye on the pr.
Reviewers prefer to choose from the issue's discussants.

Best Regards!
Zhongming Hua

在 2019/3/7 下午5:12,“LiZhenNet”<li...@gmail.com> 写入:

Posted by LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com>.