Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Tesser <JT...@nbbc.edu> on 2004/02/25 20:55:43 UTC

tomcat ability question

I have been working mainly with PHP and Python but we have some new
goals and needs that have moved us towards Java.  There is one more
developer here who has been doing Access stuff mainly.  We are looking
to come together and in the next 2-5 years roll out all new
applications.  Some will be client apps running in Windows, Mac and
maybe Linux and others will be web apps.  Some apps need both front ends
client and web.  Here is an example of the types of apps we will be
doing.

1. The entire registration process. Online and client.
2. Business office
3. POS
4. e-commerce
5. gradebook system.
6. web cms
7. etc  lots more stuff.

We want to have our apps share some logic.  We would like to have most
of the processing to be done on the server end with the web and client
apps acting mainly as just a front end. This will enable our apps to
share the same classes in many cases.

Question:  What is the best way to do this on the server end.  Jboss?
Tomcat? If the answer is Tomcat how does that work with the client apps?
Everything I have seen for Tomcat is all web.