Posted to user@stdcxx.apache.org by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com> on 2007/04/03 20:36:34 UTC

Boost + Stdcxx (results)

  I have compiled the boost library version 1.33.1 with stdcxx using
MSVC 7.1, MSVC 8.0 and gcc 3.4.4 on Cygwin.

  To compile the boost with stdcxx I have created .jam files that need
to be placed in %BOOST_ROOT%/tools/build/v1 directory.
The new .jam files and diff file boost-base.jam.diff can be found here:
http://people.apache.org/~faridz/build/

  The command lines which I used:
MSVC 7.1: bjam --without-python
-sSTDCXX_ROOT=D:\_Projects\stdcxx_working
-sSTDCXX_BUILD_PATH=D:\_Projects\stdcxx_working\build\msvc-7.1
-sTOOLS=vc-7_1-stdcxx -s"BUILD=debug <runtime-link>static
<threading>multi" stage > boost_vc-7.1_15s.log 2>&1
MSVC 8.0: bjam --without-python
-sSTDCXX_ROOT=D:\_Projects\stdcxx_working
-sSTDCXX_BUILD_PATH=D:\_Projects\stdcxx_working\build\msvc-8.0
-sTOOLS=vc-8_0-stdcxx -s"BUILD=debug <runtime-link>static
<threading>multi" stage > boost_vc-8.0_15s.log 2>&1
GCC 3.4.4/Cygwin: bjam --without-python
-sSTDCXX_ROOT=/cygdrive/d/_projects/stdcxx_working
-sSTDCXX_BUILD_PATH=/cygdrive/d/_projects/stdcxx_working/cygwin
-sTOOLS=gcc-stdcxx -s"BUILD=debug <runtime-link>static <threading>multi"
stage > boost_gcc_15s.log 2>&1

  The build logs (the build type 15s):
MSVC 7.1: http://people.apache.org/~faridz/boost_vc-7.1_15s.log
MSVC 8.0: http://people.apache.org/~faridz/boost_vc-8.0_15s.log
GCC 3.4.4/Cygwin: http://people.apache.org/~faridz/boost_cygwin_15s.log

  To successfull compilation of the boost library I have modified some
boost files.
The diffs of that files can be found here:
http://people.apache.org/~faridz/diffs/

  Now I will submit the found bugs to the boost tracking database with
giving the link to this thread.

Farid.

RE: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Posted by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com>.

  I will forward the received notifications to the our lists.

Farid.

RE: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Posted by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com>.

RE: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Posted by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com>.
Hello Nadine.

  I see that this test have the result: Pass. But this test has nothing
to do with hash_map.
The test just performs hashing of the container (std::map,
std::multimap) by the different
ways and compares the resulting values.

Farid.

Re: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Re: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Re: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Posted by Martin Sebor <ms...@gmail.com>.

Re: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Posted by Martin Sebor <ms...@gmail.com>.

RE: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Posted by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com>.

RE: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Posted by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com>.

  I've updated the gcc-stdcxx-tools.jam:
http://people.apache.org/~faridz/build/gcc-stdcxx-tools.jam

[...]
> > The diffs of that files can be found here:
> > http://people.apache.org/~faridz/diffs/
>
> Are these unified diffs? (They look like plain ones.)

  I've updated the all diffs to the unified format.

Farid.

RE: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Posted by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com>.

Re: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Posted by Martin Sebor <ms...@gmail.com>.
Farid Zaripov wrote:
>   I have compiled the boost library version 1.33.1 with stdcxx using
> MSVC 7.1, MSVC 8.0 and gcc 3.4.4 on Cygwin.
>
>   To compile the boost with stdcxx I have created .jam files that need
> to be placed in %BOOST_ROOT%/tools/build/v1 directory.
> The new .jam files and diff file boost-base.jam.diff can be found here:
> http://people.apache.org/~faridz/build/

Great! One thing I noticed in the gcc log below is that the Boost
infrastructure seems to be using g++ instead of gcc. That needs
to change, presumably in one of the .jam files, in order to avoid
linking with libstdc++, gcc's own implementation of the C++
Standard Library, and causing ODR violations at link or runtime.

[...]
>   The build logs (the build type 15s):
> MSVC 7.1: http://people.apache.org/~faridz/boost_vc-7.1_15s.log
> MSVC 8.0: http://people.apache.org/~faridz/boost_vc-8.0_15s.log
> GCC 3.4.4/Cygwin: http://people.apache.org/~faridz/boost_cygwin_15s.log
>
>   To successfull compilation of the boost library I have modified some
> boost files.
> The diffs of that files can be found here:
> http://people.apache.org/~faridz/diffs/

Are these unified diffs? (They look like plain ones.)

>   Now I will submit the found bugs to the boost tracking database with
> giving the link to this thread.

Please also post links to the Boost bugs you open on our lists for
cross-reference.

Also, the errors we're getting in the test suite for symbols like
bad_alloc, malloc, or memset, are most likely caused by Boost making
the same assumptions about these symbols being declared in other
library headers besides those where they are required to be declared,
just like they make the same assumptions in their libraries. We need
to go through them one at a time and report them as well.

Martin

Re: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Posted by Martin Sebor <ms...@gmail.com>.

RE: Boost + Stdcxx (results)

Posted by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com>.

  I will do this. But at the moment you can see the tests results here:
http://engineering.meta-comm.com/boost-regression/CVS-RC_1_33_0/user/sum
mary.html

> Skimming quickly through the results I see a lot of
> compilation errors due to the same incorrect assumptions
> about which headers symbols are referenced in as in the rest
> of Boost. We should open bugs for those as well (any
> preference for how to handle those?)

  I'd like to submit the tests results to the boost developers and they
can fix the all bugs, but I think that posting the issues to the
bugtracking
database will be more reliable.

> I also noticed quite a number of exceptions due to no RTTI data.
> I wonder if we might need a compiler option to enable RTTI
> when building the tests or perhaps even the library.

  The tests builds with the RTTI turned on. We need to build the
stdcxx library with RTTI.

> Then there are a whole bunch of linker errors LNK1104. Any
> idea what those are about? Did those libraries fail to build?
> Is it because the tests were built with /Zc:wchar_t and our
> library wasn't?

  I don't think so. I suppose that problem is somewhere in .jam files
because of library which is not found is the not stdcxx library (without
'x' suffix).
For example here searched libboost_serialization-vc80-mt-gd-1_33_1.lib,
but should be used libboost_serialization-vc80-mt-gdx-1_33_1.lib:
-------------------
serialization - test_vector_binary_archive - vc-8_0-stdcxx
Compiler output:

test_vector.cpp
Linking to lib file: libboost_serialization-vc80-mt-gd-1_33_1.lib
Linking to lib file: libboost_serialization-vc80-mt-gd-1_33_1.lib

Linker output:

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file
'libboost_serialization-vc80-mt-gd-1_33_1.lib'

    CALL "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\Tools\..\..\VC\bin\vcvars32.BAT" >nul
    "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\Tools\..\..\VC\bin\link"  /nologo  /DEBUG /subsystem:console
/out:"..\bin\boost\libs\serialization\test\test_vector_binary_archive.te
st\vc-8_0-stdcxx\debug\threading-multi\test_vector_binary_archive.exe"
/LIBPATH:"..\bin\boost\libs\test\build\libboost_test_exec_monitor.lib\vc
-8_0-stdcxx\debug\threading-multi"
/LIBPATH:"..\bin\boost\libs\serialization\build\libboost_serialization.l
ib\vc-8_0-stdcxx\debug\threading-multi"
/LIBPATH:"D:\_Projects\stdcxx_working\build\msvc-8.0\15d\lib"
"stdlib15d.lib"
@"..\bin\boost\libs\serialization\test\test_vector_binary_archive.test\v
c-8_0-stdcxx\debug\threading-multi\test_vector_binary_archive.CMD"
-------------------

> Also, we might want to #define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE on
> the command line to reduce the noise from all those darn
> useless deprecation warnings.

  Yes, it makes sense.

Farid.

RE: Boost + Stdcxx (results)