Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Frank LaRosa <fr...@franklarosa.com> on 2005/06/28 10:29:03 UTC

File dates not making much sense to me

I notice that when I checkout files from a repository onto a new
location, the files appear timestamped with the time I checked them
out, not the time they were originally created or checked into the
repository.

Is this the intended behavior?

I find this situation very troubling. My project includes a large HTTPD
directory which is posted to a web server using an Ant FTP task. If
each user ends up with arbitrary file dates, then the Ant task isn't
going to work right, since it is designed to send only those files that
are newer than what's already on the web site.

Is there any way to keep the local file dates consistent across users?

Frank

Re: File dates not making much sense to me

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On 28.06.2005, at 16:02, Norbert Unterberg wrote:

> 2005/6/28, Frank LaRosa <fr...@franklarosa.com>:
>
>> I notice that when I checkout files from a repository onto a new
>> location, the files appear timestamped with the time I checked them
>> out, not the time they were originally created or checked into the
>> repository.
>>
>> Is this the intended behavior?
>>
>> I find this situation very troubling. My project includes a large
>> HTTPD
>> directory which is posted to a web server using an Ant FTP task. If
>> each user ends up with arbitrary file dates, then the Ant task isn't
>> going to work right, since it is designed to send only those files
>> that
>> are newer than what's already on the web site.
>>
>> Is there any way to keep the local file dates consistent across
>> users?
>
> Yes, this is the intended behaviour. And this is very convenient when
> you are managing source files with SVN, because after a checkout, a
> simply "make" call will automatically rebuild all the  files that have
> been updated by svn.
>
> You can instruct svn to use the last commited time as timestamp
> instead. See the description of the "use-commit-times" flag in the
> subversion config file:
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07.html#svn-ch-7-sect-1.3.2

Yes, well, it's not particularly convenient for people who are not
writing source files that get compiled, but rather source files that
get uploaded to a web server. Yes, use-commit-times is the answer and
works fine. I'm just taking the opportunity to exercise a favorite
pasttime, which is to get miffed when assumptions are made that don't
match with my reality. :-)

Re: File dates not making much sense to me

Posted by Norbert Unterberg <nu...@gmail.com>.
2005/6/28, Frank LaRosa <fr...@franklarosa.com>:
> I notice that when I checkout files from a repository onto a new
> location, the files appear timestamped with the time I checked them
> out, not the time they were originally created or checked into the
> repository.

Yes, this is the intended behaviour. And this is very convenient when
you are managing source files with SVN, because after a checkout, a
simply "make" call will automatically rebuild all the  files that have
been updated by svn.

You can instruct svn to use the last commited time as timestamp
instead. See the description of the "use-commit-times" flag in the
subversion config file:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07.html#svn-ch-7-sect-1.3.2

Norbert