Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Craig Dayton <ca...@starband.net> on 2004/03/21 02:27:15 UTC

Primer for Learning Apache::ASP?

Hi All,

Hey, I'm new to Apache, Mod_Perl and Apache::ASP, but not to Perl.

The version for the current Apache install is:
Apache/2.0.48 (Win32) mod_perl/1.99_13 Perl/v5.8.0

Apache::ASP 2.47 is installed and working.

I'm finding myself thrashing around a lot of documentation sources (i.e.
Practical Mod_Perl and the online stuff) and was wondering if there is any
basic primer documentation on Apache::ASP out there that might help me get
off the ground?

In running the bookmarks application provided with the Apache::ASP install,
I getting the error:

errors compiling global.asa: Can't locate object method "dir_config" via
package "Apache" at E:/Apache/Apache2/htdocs/asp/bookmarks//./global.asa
line 15. eval 'E) || die("can\'t create table $DBI::errstr"); ; }
$Db->do("select * from bookmarks") || die("can\'t do select against
bookmarks: $DBI::errstr");

As you can see I don't enough about how to resolve basic errors that happen
when attempting to use Apache::ASP.  If anyone can point me to some primer
documentation on creating applications with Apache::ASP, I'd be very
thankful.

-Craig

Re: Primer for Learning Apache::ASP?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Craig Dayton wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Hey, I'm new to Apache, Mod_Perl and Apache::ASP, but not to Perl.
>
> The version for the current Apache install is:
> Apache/2.0.48 (Win32) mod_perl/1.99_13 Perl/v5.8.0
>
> Apache::ASP 2.47 is installed and working.
>
> I'm finding myself thrashing around a lot of documentation sources (i.e.
> Practical Mod_Perl and the online stuff) and was wondering if there is any
> basic primer documentation on Apache::ASP out there that might help me get
> off the ground?
>
> In running the bookmarks application provided with the Apache::ASP install,
> I getting the error:
>
> errors compiling global.asa: Can't locate object method "dir_config" via
> package "Apache" at E:/Apache/Apache2/htdocs/asp/bookmarks//./global.asa
> line 15. eval 'E) || die("can\'t create table $DBI::errstr"); ; }
> $Db->do("select * from bookmarks") || die("can\'t do select against
> bookmarks: $DBI::errstr");
>
> As you can see I don't enough about how to resolve basic errors that happen
> when attempting to use Apache::ASP.  If anyone can point me to some primer
> documentation on creating applications with Apache::ASP, I'd be very
> thankful.
>
> -Craig

The documentation for mod_perl 2 isn't as mature as that for
mod_perl 1 yet ... One of the more common errors that arises
is just like the above, which comes from not loading the
appropriate module that contains the desired method (the
functionality of mod_perl 2 is split up across a number of
modules, so that one just has to load the minimal needed).
To see which module is needed for a given method, one can do
 C:\> perl -MApache2 -MModPerl::MethodLookup -e print_method dir_config

--
best regards,
randy kobes

Re: Primer for Learning Apache::ASP?

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Craig Dayton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Hey, I'm new to Apache, Mod_Perl and Apache::ASP, but not to Perl.
>
> The version for the current Apache install is:
> Apache/2.0.48 (Win32) mod_perl/1.99_13 Perl/v5.8.0
>
> Apache::ASP 2.47 is installed and working.
>
> I'm finding myself thrashing around a lot of documentation sources (i.e.
> Practical Mod_Perl and the online stuff) and was wondering if there is any
> basic primer documentation on Apache::ASP out there that might help me get
> off the ground?

The Apache::ASP web site is basically the perldoc for the module rendered
in web format, and if you want a overview, I would check out the
article series I did on it at:

   http://www.apache-asp.org/resources.html

To get started with an installation, I would check out the INSTALL section.

> In running the bookmarks application provided with the Apache::ASP install,
> I getting the error:
>
> errors compiling global.asa: Can't locate object method "dir_config" via
> package "Apache" at E:/Apache/Apache2/htdocs/asp/bookmarks//./global.asa
> line 15. eval 'E) || die("can\'t create table $DBI::errstr"); ; }
> $Db->do("select * from bookmarks") || die("can\'t do select against
> bookmarks: $DBI::errstr");

I am not sure that Apache::ASP 2.47 would be working with mod_perl 2.  Try
upgrading to the latest release, 2.57.  If you have perl installed already,
then you can do this type of install:

   http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html#Regular%20Perlc8e4234f

but you will need nmake for your system first to do that.  If you
can get the CPAN install method working, then all the better.

Regards,

Josh