Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Slavka Peleva <sl...@storpool.com.INVALID> on 2021/09/14 07:20:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] Way to fix a problem with KVM snapshots for non-managed storages

Hi all,

There is a problem with snapshots kept only on primary storage for
non-managed drivers, and I've opened an issue request #5433
<https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/5433>
The problem is when we delete a volume with more than one snapshot kept
only on primary with the option snapshot.backup.to.secondary to false. And
the behaviour is different for most of the non-managed drivers.
My question is which is the best way to handle this?
For me the better option is each driver to handle this (if there is need to
delete the snapshots from DB/storage or they could live without the volume)

Thanks for the help!

Best regards,
Slavka

Re: [DISCUSS] Way to fix a problem with KVM snapshots for non-managed storages

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Slavka,
By your description it seems best to either backup those snapshots to
secondary on deletion of the VM or to delete them with the VM. leaving it
to the driver is ok, as long as the functionality is clear to the user. In
addition, we would want to keep behaviour as consistent as possible across
drivers. In this case there is a limitation to that. I'd say make an extra
option that defines behaviour on delete so the operator can decide.

--
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] Way to fix a problem with KVM snapshots for non-managed storages

Posted by Daniel Augusto Veronezi Salvador <gu...@apache.org>.
Hi Slavka,

In my POV, volume/VM deletion behavior when "snapshot.backup.to.secondary" is "false" should be the same as when it's "true", regarding to disk snapshots. What changes to snapshots is the location of they, therefore, operators should be able to do any operation with them on primary, as when they are on secondary.

With that said, I see two ways to achieve this:

1. Backup the snapshot to secondary;
2. As operators choose to not backup snapshots at first, their features should be adapted to work with primary storage;

Best regards,
Daniel.