Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Annam, Sunil" <SA...@intecom.com> on 2002/08/27 22:22:56 UTC

Cannot allocate servlet instance for path

Hi,

I was using Tomcat 3.x and now switched to tomcat 4.1.9. I am not able to run the servlets that I used to do. So just for testing I did the following
created a folder "exmp" under webapps. created a foler "Web-inf" under "exmp" and "classes" under "Web-inf". Copied "HelloWorldExample.class" from webapps/examples/Web-inf/classes.

webapps-->exmp
                    |->Web-inf
                            |->web.xml
                            |->classes
                                   |->HelloWorldExample.class

Modified server.xml. Added the following
<Context path="/exmp" docBase="exmp" debug="0"
                 reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
        </Context>

Created web.xml in Web-inf

<!DOCTYPE web-app
<web-app>

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>HelloWorld</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
          HelloWorldExample
        </servlet-class>

    </servlet>

  </web-app>

When I start Tomcat and try to access HelloWorldExample by url "http://localhost:8080/exmp/servlets/HelloWorldExample", it gives me Error 404
In the localhost_log.txt
invoker: Cannot allocate servlet instance for path /exmp/servlet/HelloWorldExample
javax.servlet.ServletException: Wrapper cannot find servlet class HelloWorldExample or a class it depends on
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:880)

Any idea what is happening ? what am I missing ?

HelloWorldExample from examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample is working.

Thanks in advance.

Sunil Annam