Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Sebastian Mohr <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/03 11:13:43 UTC

Financing the Design View AIR App (Was: Re: Design View AIR App)

Thanks, Om, for taking the initiative on this matter!

I still doubt, though, that this designing and skinning tool, you are
proposing, can be created by one person alone. If the Adobe Catalyst
team couldn't finish Flash Catalyst within 4 years of development, how
could you possibly do that just on your own?

The way I see it: The Flash Catalyst development should be
reopened and splited up into an open source project and into a
commercial project. The open source project should be hosted
on Github and codenamed Adobe Thermo again [1] - just like
Adobe Brackets [2]. Further, the commercial product, called Flash
Catalyst again, should reenter the Adobe Creative Suite product
line in CS7.

In case that Adobe blocks those affords then, maybe, the
Spoon project would have some financial resources left to
start this initiative. Thoughts?

Sincerely Yours,

Sebastian Mohr
Apache Flex Developer (PPMC),
Interaction Designer & Musician
http://www.linkedin.com/in/masuland

[1] https://github.com/adobe/thermo
[2] https://github.com/adobe/brackets

Re: New wiki entry clarifying relationship between Apache Flex and Adobe? (was: Financing the Design View AIR App (Was: Re: Design View AIR App))

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM, sébastien Paturel
<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Someone could write a new wiki entry to explain once and for all in what and
> how Adobe is contributing to flex
> and clarifying in what and how Adobe is publicly engaged (get the link to
> the flash player and AIR Roadmap) and things like
> "Adobe has made no promises about FXG support into the future."
> should be compiled in this page....

Note that IMO (and with my incubation mentor hat on) such statements
do not belong on the Apache Flex website or wiki. Links to statements
that Adobe and others make about Flex are fine, but I'd stop there.

Like any other company, Adobe cannot "participate" in an Apache
project, cannot be a member of the foundation etc., that's different
from other foundations where companies do have a voice, here they
don't.

We're extremely thankful for the support that companies provide to our
projects by paying people to work on them, and for some of them [1] by
sponsoring the foundation, but as funny as it might seem this does not
provide those companies with a voice in our projects.

Whoever participates in an Apache project does so as an individual,
they do not represent their company. It's a fine line, as many of us
are participating in Apache projects as part of our paid work, but
this (somewhat extreme, and a bit unusual) independence with respect
to companies is key to Apache's long-term success, as that makes
Apache a very neutral place for people to collaborate.

-Bertrand

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/thanks.html

Posted by sébastien Paturel <se...@gmail.com>.
"I would expect / hope that adobe is a partner of apache flex"
To easily answer to this recurrent question or reaction,
Someone could write a new wiki entry to explain once and for all in what
and how Adobe is contributing to flex
and clarifying in what and how Adobe is publicly engaged (get the link
to the flash player and AIR Roadmap) and things like
"Adobe has made no promises about FXG support into the future."
should be compiled in this page.
In one word: clarify what Adobe do for Apache Flex, and what it does
not. What Adobe has promised and what it has not.

Maybe there's already a page like that?

Re: AW: AW: Financing the Design View AIR App (Was: Re: Design View AIR App)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: AW: AW: Financing the Design View AIR App (Was: Re: Design View AIR App)

Posted by Charles Monteiro <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sébastien Paturel <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Any news about FalconJS donation? (was: Financing the Design View AIR App (Was: Re: Design View AIR App))

Posted by sébastien Paturel <se...@gmail.com>.
Great news, thanks Alex :)

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 10/5/2012 7:20 PM, Charles Monteiro wrote:
> Not getting this air is very much cross platform , running on desktops ,
> android , ios,  it seems win surface rtf

  It depends on your delivery mechanism.  If you need "Cross platform"
browser based apps that have to work on an iPad or iPhone; then Flash is
out.  I assumed the original poster was referring to browser based apps
/ web sites.

  I agree with your sentiment that AIR can be great for cross platform
"native" apps.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: Any news about FalconJS donation? (was: Financing the Design View AIR App (Was: Re: Design View AIR App))

Posted by Charles Monteiro <ch...@gmail.com>.
Not getting this air is very much cross platform , running on desktops ,
android , ios,  it seems win surface rtf

Posted by FORMER 03 | Robert Brendler <ro...@former03.de>.

--
_____ FORMER 03 GmbH
_____ infanteriestraße 19 haus 6

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by filippo dipisa <fi...@dipisa.net>.

Posted by sébastien Paturel <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Monteiro <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sébastien Paturel <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Mohr <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Is FXG a good long term choice for Apache Flex?

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
I think it's a good long term investment. There is a lot already invested
in it. FXG is more like SVG 4.0. Also, there has been work done on the
compiler that produces optimized FXG. FXG is Flex' friend.

Posted by Yvon Sauvageau <ys...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com> wrote:

> On 10/5/2012 9:44 AM, sébastien Paturel wrote:
>

>> by the way, why Adobe chose to use new FXG, instead of SVG? (i bet the
>> answer as already been given a few times, sorry for asking again)
>>

>  There has been some talk about that in the past.  The general gist--as I
> understand it--was that they decided it would be better to create something
> which was closer to the Flash Player rending model.
>
>  FXG and SVG are very close; as I understand it.  I thought the Flex
> compiler supported SVG too?  It may be an interesting experiment to convert
> all the FXG elements (and related skins) to SVG.
>
> --
> Jeffry Houser
> Technical Entrepreneur
> 203-379-0773
> --
> http://www.flextras.com?c=104
> http://www.theflexshow.com
> http://www.jeffryhouser.com
> http://www.asktheflexpert.com
> --
> Part of the DotComIt Brain Trust

Yes FXG is practically interchangeable with SVG markup. However, converting
FXG to SVG would be counterproductive. FXG enjoys optimizations on the
compiler that SVG does not, so it will always run more efficiently. At
least that is my understanding.

-omar

Re: Is FXG a good long term choice for Apache Flex?

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

Posted by sébastien Paturel <se...@gmail.com>.
But it seems that theres very little differences between the two.
IMO Adobe will drop FXG sooner or later.
Why should they keep with it if they don't keep Flex in their main strategy?
I think we will have to get back to an SVG based solution (with SVG
extension ?)

Re: Is FXG a good long term choice for Apache Flex? (was: Financing the Design View AIR App (Was: Re: Design View AIR App))

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by sébastien Paturel <se...@gmail.com>.
After Alex mentioned FXG, one important question comes to light:
should Apache Flex keep use FXG as skining tool?
as FXG is tightly linked to Adobe and its tools, can we count on Adobe
to continue to maintain the use of it? especially in Creative suite tools?

by the way, why Adobe chose to use new FXG, instead of SVG? (i bet the
answer as already been given a few times, sorry for asking again)

Alex, can you please enlighten us on that subject?
Thanks

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.
I'm not throwing a recommendation for anything in particular, but I
believe a UI design tool for Apache Flex is critical to its future. Yes,
you can edit .CSS and .MXML/.AS files, build, deploy and view your
changes. But that round trip takes time and professional graphic designers
are generally not used to working like that. Further, it encourages
merging design and business logic when ideally you want them separated.

Apple now uses something it calls "Storyboards" (more advanced nibs) which
makes it very easy to separate the design from the function. Apple's UI
Designer plugin to Xcode needs more work to allow for complete styling,
but it does provide this separation where the description of the UI is
independent of the code. An iOS universal app can be a single executable
with multiple Storyboards using the same classes for iPhone and iPad but
uses them in different ways depending on which Storyboard is loaded.

I point this out because I feel mobile computing is really where Flex's
strength lies. You can write a Flex app to run on both Android and iOS
devices. I'm betting Windows 8 mobile won't be far behind. Imagine just
having one App that runs on all those devices. But each device has its own
look and feel. It would be better, and easier, for designers to create
those styles and themes independently from the app code and just bundle
them for each target device. Doing this requires a UI design tool graphic
designers can use that doesn't require compilation, code changes, etc.

While Apache isn't the place to develop such a tool, a company, group, or
individual could do that and provide the product - either commercially or
contribute it to Apache. Adobe could do it, sure (not saying they will),
but if this is something you want and if you believe Flex can be great on
mobile, than go for it.

Peter Ent
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems

On 10/3/12 10:38 AM, "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de"
<ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:

>Oh ... let me thow in a little more weight for the Catalyst ;-)
>
>I invested quite some time in setting up a project structure that allowed
>me to concentrate on developing (Using an ugly but functional developer
>Skin) and having professional Designers use Catalyst to Skin the
>application. Unfortunately it seemed that the designers available on the
>market were all even less "finished" than the Catalyst project, but as
>soon as the designers got the hang of it, the results were pretty
>sattisfying and I had what I was allways dreaming about: Being able to
>concentrate on the functionality and have a designer do all the stuff
>that sells the application (cool buttons, even greater effects and
>animated transitions, ...) :-)
>
>I would be really happy if Adobe didn't entirely drop this tool, and if
>they did, If they would somehow open-source it.
>
>Chris

 From the looks of it I can count more than 3 people that seem to be interested in this project and we have only talked about it for a day.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Sebastian,

No offense but sometimes I think you over think problems. Apache is
not an enterprise in respect to each project.

Having the same perspective about a project like FlashCatalyst and
expecting that from Apache Flex is going to keep you up at night. This
project would be iterative.

 From the looks of it I can count more than 3 people that seem to be