Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com> on 2021/10/25 11:07:25 UTC

Log4j2 configuration format with best coverage

Hi all,

I posted the following question on stackoverflow a few days ago [1]. Any
feedback is much appreciated.

Log4j2 currently supports 4 configuration formats: XML, JSON, YAML, and
properties syntax. I couldn't find in the documentation if all the formats
are exactly equivalent in terms of feature coverage.

Is it possible to use all features of Log4j2 in every format or are there
certain formats that lack some expressiveness?

I vaguely remember in the past that I had some trouble setting up a feature
in the property syntax while it was working in the XML syntax; it could be
my lack of knowledge at the time instead of a missing feature but if
somebody can provide a reference about equivalence or not it would be
helpful.

Best,
Stamatis

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69659109/log4j2-configuration-format-with-best-coverage

Re: Log4j2 configuration format with best coverage

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
This deserves a really long answer that I should add to my blog site. I’ll post a shorter answer on stackoverflow.

Ralph